Advice Handling a MHP Problem? - Posted by Sailor

Posted by roundhouse on September 29, 2005 at 13:56:41:

A friend of mine had the same prob but they were dumping bags in to the creek next to his house, tossing them off the bridge, he’d open the bags, find an address, then take the bags, to the address, split them with a razor and toss them in the yard, making sure they split and spilled the trash all over the yard,
worked for him. they stopped.

Advice Handling a MHP Problem? - Posted by Sailor

Posted by Sailor on September 24, 2005 at 19:13:31:

I have a small MHP on a wide dirt road that the DOT has forgotten. There is no trash service, & some folks just dump bags of trash in the ditch (yes, I’m working on the larger problem w/the County & the Rural Dev Board). I supply a dumpster for my MHP, but neighbors have been driving in & using it. I’m installing fencing so they can no longer drive right through one of the back yards, but one guy drives right up through the main road to use my dumpster. I don’t think an extra bag or two is a real trash problem, but I’ve had tenants complain about the intrusion (thankfully, they are getting a bit prideful w/the small improvements I’ve made so far), & I’d like to stake out my park territory & establish it as a real community. Any suggestions on handling the trash-dumping neighbor situation diplomatically?

Tye

Re: Advice Handling a MHP Problem? - Posted by Bruce

Posted by Bruce on September 25, 2005 at 09:14:43:

I would contact the parties and tell them that you are aware that they have been using your dumpster. Offer them use of the dumpster for a set fee. Explain to them that you DO NOT want to get law enforcement involved but the trash removal costs you money and if they have the need to use it then they will be forced to contribute. Sometimes calling the police from the get go leads to more problems than the original one. JMHO Good luck.

Re: Advice Handling a MHP Problem? - Posted by James

Posted by James on September 25, 2005 at 03:33:10:

Get the tags, ($2 to run them here) and have someone tell you when he next dumps. Go immediately with the witness, and get the trash he just dumped. Dig out identifying trash such as phone bill, magazine subscription label, etc.

Run the tags. Compare the two names, which hopefully match, or the address that matches the tags.

NOW call the police, and put in a report. You have witness affadavit, physical evidence, and you use the report to get it to stop.

Alternately;

Do not go to the police. Instead,
Send the offender a letter offering trash services for $XXX a month, for a period of 1 year.
"
… to accept this offer, signify by merely driving on our property at any time, and telling the tenant in unit #(whoever agrees to be available), that you are here to dump your trash.

If you fail to do so, you agree to a charge of $350 for EACH VISIT thereafter.

You may decline my offer in writing within 10 business days, and if more time is requested an additional 10 days may be had by mere written request. However, use immediately signifies acceptance of the $350 rate."

Post a sign of your own construction with the trash offering the described services and a phone number to call to sign up for billing.

Send the offer return reciept requested.

This is a bona fide contracual offer and acceptance method. Furhtermore, there is a term of time, and a price, and a manner in which you both may communicate and fulfill the terms of the contract.

On any occasion that you hear he was on the property, you again, get evidence, and then sue in small claims court.

If you would like to call him, then you cna look up the 12 states that are 2-party wiretap states where you need to declare on tape that you are taping the call, and ask for permission. In the other 38, I would also call him about the contract, and ask if he understands, and if he is going to write you a rejection letter, and go over the pricing.

Re: Advice Handling a MHP Problem? - Posted by TimW (MI)

Posted by TimW (MI) on September 24, 2005 at 20:29:06:

Check with the company that you have contracted with on the dumpster and see how much it would cost to convert to individual trash recepticals for each resident instead of a trash dumpster, it might cost a little more but it would solve the problem of drive by dumping. It sounds like the tenants might be open or more receptive to a little increase in rent to cover the extra cost if need be to stop the unwanted dumping of trash.

Re: Advice Handling a MHP Problem? - Posted by Dave Fl.

Posted by Dave Fl. on September 24, 2005 at 19:21:09:

Yes, call a cop. Its a a crime to put stuff in someone elses dumpster. Most even have a placard on them that states that.
Dave Fl.

Re: Advice Handling a MHP Problem? - Posted by scott

Posted by scott on September 25, 2005 at 11:54:15:

Do what I did at a campground I own. Have someone watch, find out who did it, then take all their garbage that they put in your dumpster and dump it on their yard or patio. Tell them to never use your dumpster again or you will call the law. Dont be nice about it or they will keep doing it. Be nasty, make a point and hope they never do it again.
The other idea is to have curb side pickup at each lot. Works at great at my MHP’s. That way you do not have the mess or the eyesore of dumpster or people throwing tires, rims, furniture etc… on the ground next to the dumpster.

Good luck