a Special Thanks, to a Special Person.... - Posted by Ed Garcia

Posted by don, sdca on January 21, 2000 at 15:03:43:

Jim has been a great help to ALL of us here at CREOnline!!

I have never met him, but his time and thoughfullness to us and this site are very much appreciated…

THANKS JIM!!

Don, sdca

a Special Thanks, to a Special Person… - Posted by Ed Garcia

Posted by Ed Garcia on January 21, 2000 at 11:38:25:

A Special Thanks, to a Special Person:

In the last few day’s there has been some talk about places to go for information about
Real-estate.

J.P Vaughn has been given credit for this informative site, and deserves every bit of it.

When we talk about our news group, what makes it so good, are the people that participate.

YOU.

But I’d like to Thank, one Special Person who has done more for this forum than any other.

The Honorable Mr. JIM PIPER.

Jim, your unselfish giving day in and day out, has really been appreciated.
I have never in my life, met a man with more nut and bolt information than Jim.

The time he puts into, and the way he articulates his postings, are second to none.

Remember, Mr. Piper does not sell courses, or books, or anything for that matter.
If someone were to ask me one thing that Creonline has over the competition, that one
thing would be Mr. Piper. I’ve watch him share his knowledge with a passion, and never
back down when he felt his point need be shown.

Thank you Mr. Piper, it’s a pleasure to be able to call you, Friend.

Your friend,

Ed Garcia

Re: a Special Thanks, to a Special Person… - Posted by SCook85

Posted by SCook85 on January 22, 2000 at 07:12:05:

I have been attending this board now since January of 1997. Ever since the beginning I can remember scanning the board for Jim Piper’s posts if I were lacking the time to read them all. I catch myself still doing that today.

I only wish that one day I will be able to have the wisdom that Jim has and be able to give to someone or something what Jim gives to this group.

Thank you Jim!

Steve Cook

I’m Speechless… - Posted by JPiper

Posted by JPiper on January 21, 2000 at 22:12:36:

?..almost! You didn?t expect to get off that easy did you?

Wow! What a great collection of posts. I plan to make my wife read these?.and if I could get some of my errant tenants and contractors to read them I would.

Sometimes we all make the mistake of thinking that the poster of an answer does all the giving, and the poster of the question does all the receiving. If that were really true of course, the answerer would wear out quickly.

Here?s what really happens, at least in my mind. I read the question. As I read it, it dredges up an old experience here, an old experience there. Some of these are buried under layers of forgotten experiences, both good and bad. What is triggered is a recollection of that body of experience that lies under the surface, which lies forgotten and unused. In the effort to answer the question that information is forced to the surface, recalled, and re-experienced. This process makes you sharper. It also puts you in an space where you might not have to experience something a second time (you hope).

We always hear that we should learn the first time around. But unfortunately, I have had to learn some lessons multiple times. It all a question of whether you?re sharp, and whether you remember. This newsgroup, and answering questions, helps to keep one sharp?.and brings the knowledge that was there back to the forefront of your mind. Answering a post is not a selfless experience.

So certainly on that level the person who answers questions is a prime beneficiary of the relationship between questioner and answerer. But of course, it is never really that simple. Personalities emerge through these posts, people trigger emotions, thoughts, and in general things that each of us need to learn. You notice that ?essence of jerk? in one poster?..do you suppose that you?re seeing that element of yourself? It isn?t just the questioner that learns in any of this?the answerer does as well.

I?ve found this newsgroup to be immensely beneficial to my general real estate knowledge. But even more, I have made many fine friends in the last several years, starting here with this newsgroup, continuing at that first convention in Las Vegas, the next convention in Dallas, and soon the convention in Atlanta. And when you get to be my age you start to understand that no matter how much you love real estate, that your friends and family carry an extra importance beyond that.

Ed, you?re truly a good friend (a friend I first met at the Las Vegas convention), and I appreciate this acknowledgment, and all of the posts by those of you who responded. I look forward to seeing all of my old friends at the convention?and making some new friends as well. If Atlanta is anything even close to the first two conventions, it will truly be an experience.

Thanks again to all of you.

JPiper

Jim Piper is the best… - Posted by chris

Posted by chris on January 21, 2000 at 22:00:08:

JP and Ed Garcia also deserve a toast for educating me.

Thank You, Chris

Just don’t ask to him to help you paint… - Posted by Jim IL

Posted by Jim IL on January 21, 2000 at 19:31:21:

Jim,
Saying “Thank you” certainly does not seem to be enough.
As others here have said already, you are an invaluable part of our REI education.
And, you do it all for free out of the kindness of your heart, and the thrill of the game.
I know that I appreciate it, and will always be grateful to you.
I enjoy your wit, and expert opinions and experience that you share so openly.
As far as I can recall, you have taught me personally more about REI just by posting here, and being in the chat room.
You offer your expertise openly and freely, all while maintaining your sense of humor.
You can dish it out and take it.
And, you even share with us some of your “blunders” (as few as they are.) which lets us all know you are human too.
Like the stories of you painting, and ruining a pair of pants. Õ¿Õ
When ever I see a post by you I immediately click on it kowing that I will learn something new. Your advice is the best.
And when on those few occasions you actually post a question, I know it will be a doozy, because of your seemingly endless knowledge.

Thank you Sir, you are one of my heros,
Jim IL

The Best Devils Advocate Ive Ever Come Across. - Posted by tb

Posted by tb on January 21, 2000 at 19:08:56:

Mr. Piper has, on several occasions, made me look at my current situation or deal through anothers eyes. Nothing could be more important than an experienced, level-headed, devils advocate when things seem “too good to be true”.

So, Mr. Piper, please continue to find the faults in my deals and though process, for there within lie the seeds of success.

Forever grateful, tb

Re: a Special Thanks, to a Special Person… - Posted by Russ Sims

Posted by Russ Sims on January 21, 2000 at 19:01:53:

I bet there isn’t a serious investor who frequents this site who hasn’t been helped by Mr. Piper.Bottom line is that he has enriched our lives; made them better because we could apply his advice and reap the benefits…words are inadequate…

ABSOLUTELY!!! - Posted by steph in tex

Posted by steph in tex on January 21, 2000 at 18:29:02:

my hat goes off to you too Jim.
i speak of you often in my daily comings and goings…
…“well, JPiper says…” just as though you’re an old friend, even though we’ve never met.
i ask my self many times in my deals…“what would Piper say about this?”
you have become one of my favorite CREonline heros!

thanks again, as always!
i can’t wait to meet you!

steph in tex

Re: a Special Thanks, to a Special Person… - Posted by J.P. Vaughan

Posted by J.P. Vaughan on January 21, 2000 at 18:07:06:

Thanks for starting this long overdue post, Eddie.

We are more than thankful for Jim Piper’s incredible
contributions to this board. He is always extremely
thoughtful, thorough and patient (well, maybe not right
after he quit smoking) and informative in his responses.
Day after day, he takes the time to share his vast
knowledge and experience with everyone here.

To say Jim Piper is a “gentleman and a scholar” may be the
understatement of the year. I am honored to call him my
friend.

JP

P.S. First drink’s on you in Atlanta, Jim…

moreover… - Posted by karp

Posted by karp on January 21, 2000 at 16:56:51:

My talks with Jim have always been rather dramatic.
In the past we argued the minute details of a deal until the wee hours of the night…I sort of miss those days.

Jim always inspires me to double and triple check what I had been espousing… Also attention to detail is something I have certainly gained an appreciation for since meeting him…

Blah Blah- Jim is great. If he wanted his face licked he’d have bought a puppy…Anyway- thanks- Jim.

karp

Re: a Special Thanks, to a Special Person… - Posted by William, Columbus, OH

Posted by William, Columbus, OH on January 21, 2000 at 15:49:59:

Thank you Ed Garcia for speaking on behalf of a lot people that echo your comments about Mr. Piper.

Re: A Mentor - Posted by Stacy (AZ)

Posted by Stacy (AZ) on January 21, 2000 at 15:03:25:

I agree, wholeheartedly! Jim says he hasn’t written a book. He just doesn’t realize it. The posts from Jim that I’ve printed make up a book on Creative Real Estate Investing.

Thanks Jim.

Stacy

With or without mustache… - Posted by GregN

Posted by GregN on January 21, 2000 at 14:41:50:

Jim is a wonderful person.

I actually get a more ‘warm and fuzzy’ feeling hearing Jim answer a question than I do from most of the accountants and lawyers I deal with.

Thank you Mr. Piper.

GregN

Re: a Special Thanks, to a Special Person… - Posted by JAY S.

Posted by JAY S. on January 21, 2000 at 13:46:58:

As a “Newbie” to this site, I thank Mr. Piper, and each of those who have answered with a sincere desire to help! Your efforts are truly appreciated! I hope one day SOON to be able to also help others.
Jay S.

Re: a Special Thanks, to a Special Person… - Posted by phil fernandez

Posted by phil fernandez on January 21, 2000 at 13:32:30:

Well put Ed.

Your post has the potential to be the longest thread of alltime for responses.

Three years ago when I initially found this site, JPiper was there. Three years later Jim Piper is still here.

Absolutely no where have I ever seen so much insight into creative real estate investing than what this man posseses.

As I just mentioned on a post that I made above about the benefits of the CREOnline convention, Jim Piper is very approachable. And he’s a nice guy.

Re: a Special Thanks, to a Special Person… - Posted by John Behle

Posted by John Behle on January 21, 2000 at 11:47:51:

A giant “Ditto” from me. Looking very forward to meeting him in Atlanta. A good man - that we can always count on.

Oh, by the way. You’re one of the stalwart pillars of this little real estate power center too Ed. Thanks.

Hear hear… - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on January 21, 2000 at 11:44:22:

I second that motion. Thanks for all your help in the past Jim. Of course Ed, you have been a great and very informative contributor as well.

Re: Mr. Piper’s Contributions - Posted by Jim Kennedy - Houston, TX

Posted by Jim Kennedy - Houston, TX on January 22, 2000 at 12:19:59:

Jim,

I had the very great pleasure of meeting you at last year?s convention. On occasion, I will read a question or comment on this newsgroup and think to myself, ?I hope the inestimable Mr. Piper responds to this one.? or ?Can?t wait to read what Piper has to say about this.? It is always very interesting to read your sagacious responses. Your postings are consistently articulate, objective and extremely well thought-out. You have been a very positive influence and I consider myself fortunate to be able to benefit from your knowledge and experience. You certainly are a most valued contributor to this forum. Thank you for taking the time and making the effort to share. I am grateful that you participate here. See you in Atlanta.

Jim Kennedy,
Houston, TX

Re: Thanks - Posted by Lonnie

Posted by Lonnie on January 22, 2000 at 10:24:32:

Hi Jim,

What an excellent post, and so true. Your message certainly made me dig into the old memory bank, and once again reminds me of the old saying …“use it or lose it”. And when it comes to the mind, that?s especially true. (Jim, I got the impression from your post you might have the same problem that I have…excellent memory, but extremely short.)

One of the things I?ve always admired about you, in addition to your wiliness to share your vast amount of knowledge, is your knack and ability to convey your thoughts into the printed word that leaves no doubt, or confusion, as to the message you?re trying to get across. And, as you pointed out in your post, the more you help others, the more you receive. Sometimes I have to wonder who benefits the most…the teacher, or the student.

You also brought up a very important, (and many times overlooked), point concerning this newsgroup. Without a doubt, this site affords more opportunity, for more people, to meet more people, to make more friends, and to learn more ways of investing, than any one avenue that I?ve ever known. And I have to feel a little sad for all the folks that could attend the conventions, and acquire a ton of knowledge, but chooses not to. Those folks not only pass up an opportunity to learn and meet some great people, and make life long friends, but many will go through life never knowing, what they don?t know.

Looking forward to seeing you and your lovely wife in Atlanta.

Best regards,

Lonnie

P.S. Now, if only Ed Garcia could teach you how to pitch horse shoes.