A new Craig's List Gambit? - Posted by Irwin(ca)

Posted by michaela-CA on June 04, 2010 at 10:23:00:

IB,
I think that would be a good idea. If I, who is in real estate and who is a landlord, didn’t realize why he wrote it (just seemed kind of demanding, and I didn’t want a landlord like that) then others probably don’t either.

But then it may depend on your market. If a lot of people write that, then it may be more common and not a big deal. This was the first time I saw it and it stood out like a sore thumb.

Michaela

A new Craig’s List Gambit? - Posted by Irwin(ca)

Posted by Irwin(ca) on June 03, 2010 at 12:23:21:

I’m experiencing a strange phenomenon with my fsbo ads on Craig’s List. I get numerous “is it available?” inquiries to which I respond affirmatively. Then nothing from them, nada, zip, zilch. Each inquiry comes from a different person (different e-mail addresses) and the frequency of these messages has increased lately.

Can this be realtor in disguise, or maybe a new creative approach to finding a distressed seller? Any thoughts?

TIA.

Are the addresses listed? - Posted by chi ming

Posted by chi ming on June 07, 2010 at 17:58:12:

Perhaps they are looking for empty houses for illegal
activity.

Re: A new Craig’s List Gambit? - Posted by Kristine-CA

Posted by Kristine-CA on June 03, 2010 at 16:51:53:

I think you’re giving an agent or possible REI way too much credit. :slight_smile: I
never respond to those inquiries anymore. If you respond from a legit
address and use your name in your response, it’s a way for scammers
to collect email info and personal info.

When I’m selling RE, my craigslist ad says no emails will be responded
to…they have to call. I’ve found good buyers on craigslist, but the
spam and poor manners of most responses have really gotten out of
control.

Re: A new Craig’s List Gambit? - Posted by Woody

Posted by Woody on June 03, 2010 at 14:19:15:

It is the typical CL scam. If you reply you will later receive another scam email. CL spam and scams have really increased a lot more this last year. I am finding many people are more sceptical of CL anymore.

Re: A new Craig’s List Gambit? - Posted by michaela-CA

Posted by michaela-CA on June 03, 2010 at 12:26:27:

or a way to collect email addresses for people that may have cash?

Re: Are the addresses listed? - Posted by Irwin(CA)

Posted by Irwin(CA) on June 08, 2010 at 20:05:03:

No, the addresses aren’t listed in the CL ads. I didn’t think it was a good idea for the reason you mentioned. The conclusion I get from this thread is that the responders are harvesting e-mail addresses for advertising or other nefarious purposes. I get a lot of spam so it’s difficult for me to figure out where the spammer got my addy. And it probably isn’t worth the effort.

I think I’ll just be more selective as to which CL responses I follow up with.

Agreed - Posted by IB (NJ)

Posted by IB (NJ) on June 03, 2010 at 16:35:20:

CL has gone down the tubes with all the spam. It’s too a point where I don’t even include an email address anymore. They now have to call. With the last property I advertised on CL, I got about 4-5 legit phone calls and no less than 100 spam emails. Absolutely NO legit emails.

Ib

Re: Agreed - Posted by michaela-CA

Posted by michaela-CA on June 04, 2010 at 01:07:14:

IB,
I actually came across an ad for the first time the other day that said, that he won’t accept email, only phone calls. I had no idea why he wrote it, but I got kind of turned off and just bypassed the ad.

Just giving you my perspective as a tenant, that’s looking for a new place to rent.

Michaela

Re: Agreed - Posted by Herbster

Posted by Herbster on June 03, 2010 at 21:08:50:

I do about the same. No email or craigslist emails anymore. If they are really interested they will call. On a rare occasion I will post my email in my ad, backwords. Herbster

Re: Agreed - Posted by Kristine-CA

Posted by Kristine-CA on June 04, 2010 at 02:02:31:

Hi Michaela. We are looking for a new rental for my daughter in the
East Bay and I totally understand why some landlords aren’t accepting
email. Unfortunately, some people’s email behaviour correlates with
their other behaviours. Landlords are just filtering out what they don’t
want…people who can’t or won’t communicate by phone.

That being said, some landlords and PMs market their properties pretty
poorly and leave a lot of questions unanswered. The best ones, the
organized ones have good pictures and an open house/viewing date
and a working phone. Unfortunately, there seem to be as many flaky
CL landlords as CL tenants. :slight_smile: Best of success to you in your search.
Kristine

Re: Agreed - Posted by Edwin

Posted by Edwin on June 05, 2010 at 19:13:47:

I have noticed that most of my responses to Craigslist rental ads are sent via e-mail. Many of my rentals are targeted to college students, and for some reason they almost always send me e-mails. I don’t know if it’s because they are too lazy to pick up a phone, or if e-mailing is just their preferred method of communicating. I could try stating in my ad that a phone call is preferred, but if I stated that I would NOT respond to e-mails, I might lose a significant number of prospects. So far, the spam has not been too great of a time burden, so I’m handling it okay.

Re: Agreed - Posted by michaela-ca

Posted by michaela-ca on June 04, 2010 at 07:50:03:

Kristine,

while everyone of course has the right to ask for what they want, I just wanted to give my perspective of how
I felt when I came across an ad like that. I can see now why that person may have required it, but I just remember that I read this and was turned off enough to just not bother responding at all.

Michaela

Michaela

I wouldn’t give the address - Posted by James - Michigan Investor

Posted by James - Michigan Investor on June 06, 2010 at 09:40:30:

Unless the person actually called me to find it out. Just like when I place an ad for a rental, I rarely give
the addy…I want them to call me so I can talk to them and ‘assess’ them. Many times, I won’t give an addy if
I don’t ‘feel’ them.

James

Re: Agreed - Posted by IB (NJ)

Posted by IB (NJ) on June 04, 2010 at 10:07:00:

Good point Michaela. Although I didn’t say in my ad ‘no emails’ (simply left it out), you bring up valid point. I’m wondering if it would make a difference if I put the reason for not including the email.

Ib

Re: I wouldn’t give the address - Posted by michaela-CA

Posted by michaela-CA on June 06, 2010 at 19:20:39:

And maybe there are others like me that won’t even bother investigating further, if the owner doesn’t give much info upfront.

I tend to think that I’m a great tenant - I’ve owned my own homes for 23 years, own a number of rental properties free and clear that give me cash income, have good other income and really take care of the property.

I assume that there are others like me that think the same way (but then again, maybe I’m just so weird that nobody else is like this :wink: ) and who will just bypass a rental that doesn’t stand out and where I have to jump through hoops, when there are tons of others out there where I don’t

Just my thoughts

michaela