8 units 2/2 $800 a month each what Can I pay? - Posted by Dan Ruzicka

Posted by Lin (NC) on April 28, 2011 at 09:54:30:

Dan,
You don’t say what the expenses are, and that’s really important, especially because you have a pool and that alone can kill you on expenses. There are new federal regulations for pools that can add considerable cost if the pool isn’t currently in compliance, and when you have to few units to carry the cost, it could really be a deal breaker. Pools are a BIG negative for small complexes, in my book. In fact, I’d budget to close it if I were looking at a deal like yours with a pool.

What are the expenses the owner is currently showing? What are the expenses that you would have running it your way? Once you have those numbers and post them we can actually help you. Knowing the net operating income is critical to evaluating a multifamily deal. (i.e. what does it put in the bank before debt service?)

There are other factors that are important besides the numbers. What is the neighborhood like? Is it on the decline? How long does the average tenant stay? High turnover will kill your cash flow and will also run you ragged if you self-manage. I know some apartment owners who are stuck with upside down properties in bad neighborhoods because the area degraded while they weren’t looking, or they failed to pay attention to the signs. Presumably this property has already passed this test, but I thought I’d mention it anyway for the benefit of others.

I’m also assuming you mean that each unit rents for $800.

Lin

8 units 2/2 $800 a month each what Can I pay? - Posted by Dan Ruzicka

Posted by Dan Ruzicka on April 27, 2011 at 11:45:23:

Hello,

Maybe some multi family Pros can give me a idea. Looking at 8 units all 2/2 they are getting $800 a month for all. one is not rented and needs 10K work. Complex 3 building and a pool need some Paint and freshening $30K.

What should I pay for this complex?

Thanks,
Dan

Re: 8 units 2/2 $800 a month each what Can I pay? - Posted by Bill Jacobsen

Posted by Bill Jacobsen on April 29, 2011 at 11:11:40:

Dan:

Listen to Lin.

When you get the numbers together, look at the vacancy rate. I would not use less than 3-5% no mater what the seller’s numbers say.

My experience is that the expense ratio(expense/net rents# is going to run 30-50%. Be leary of anything less. Be sure that you add a management fee if none is showing.

I have seen cap. rates#Net operating income/purchase price) run anywhere from 7.5% to 19%. All things being equal you want a higher number. I would add my repair cost to the purchase cost when calculating the ratio.

I want my debt service to net operating income to be no more than 50%. I would not advise going above 75%.

Hope this helps.

Bill