'69 Detroiter... Is it worth moving to park? - Posted by Deanna

Posted by Paul on July 14, 2003 at 08:01:49:

Calling local construction companies. They use mobile homes for on site offices. If its moveable, they might take it and rehab it for an on site office trailer.

'69 Detroiter… Is it worth moving to park? - Posted by Deanna

Posted by Deanna on July 11, 2003 at 15:11:12:

We bought a piece of land with 15 acres and a 1969 mobile home in a “nice” area for $60,000 3 years ago. The land was the worst on the street, it looked shabby with old sheds, the trailer, and overgrown grass/weeds. The price for 15 acres in this area is typically 130,000+ so we got a good deal(boy are people dumb).

We spent the first two years paying for the land while living in the mobile home. We had to replace the pipes and carpet costing us about $2000 total. The past year we built our new home with our land as the downpayment (we paid it off) and now we are trying to get rid of the mobile home (per order of the town’s zoning law, 15 acre zoning in this area).

At first we tried to sell it for $1000, lots of callers, no one serious enough. Then we decided just to give it away, LOTS of calls, again, no one serious enough.

Some say the have the cash to move it, but no where to put it, the ones who say they can come up with the cash to move it and land to put it on(and many say they can), end up hemming and hawing, calling around to get moving prices, stalling a lot.

I’m wondering if we should invest to move it into a park. Can it even be put into a park, given it’s age? It’ll cost anywhere from $600-$1200 to move (depending on where), haven’t priced out the cost of hooking everything up (water, electric, sewer). Maybe I could get 3-4000 on this with a 12% note?? Am I dreaming??

I’ve always wanted to get into real estate, maybe this is it. By the way, the trailer is in great shape.

Any input will be appreciated, and yes I’ll order Lonnie’s book!

Re: '69 Detroiter… Is it worth moving to park? - Posted by Deanna

Posted by Deanna on July 15, 2003 at 12:24:59:

Thanks for all of your responses.
Come on Phil, I’m going to be 35 in a few years, do I need to go to the junk yard too? LOL Okay, she is old, but you haven’t seen how pretty she is (she only looks about 25 tops)

Fire depts. here won’t touch it, they don’t burn mobile homes for training. Pricing for getting it torn down it brought to the junk yard will be anywhere from $1200 to $1700. It’s cheaper to move. (Dump fees are outragous in VT)

I have two people who say they’re very intersted, but haven’t moved it yet. Still calling trailer parks to see if they’ll rent me a lot, but no luck yet.

Deanna

Burn It - Posted by Tennessee Bob

Posted by Tennessee Bob on July 14, 2003 at 07:30:06:

Deanna,
Donate it to the local fire department to burn for training purposes. Make sure to get a reciept from them for the donation. You can take it off on taxes. Also make sure after they burn it, they are responsible for removing the debries.

Good luck & GOD Bless,
Tennessee Bob

Re: '69 Detroiter… let it rest in peace? - Posted by Phil Pelletier

Posted by Phil Pelletier on July 14, 2003 at 01:07:32:

A home like that may have to be brought up to the electrical code before it will be issued an occupancy permit (in a park or on private land), so it may not be worth the cost of moving it anywhere but the junk yard. You may want to have a sale where you advertise “Demolition of old mobile home”. Sometimes home brokers will come and pay you for the windows, the doors, the ceiling tiles, the cabinets, etc.) Sometimes the sum of the parts is greater than the whole. You may be able to raise enough money through parts to give the old girl a decent (and cost effective!) burial.

I’m the first one to try to scrounge around and make something out of nothing, but she’s been around for nearly 35 years. It may be time to just pay the piper and send her to the junk yard.

Phil Pelletier

Re: '69 Detroiter… Is it worth moving to park? - Posted by Deanna

Posted by Deanna on July 11, 2003 at 17:45:47:

Northwest Vermont, not sure where we’ll move it to, closest park is probably 20 miles away, I’ll check it out this weekend. Good to know I could make money with an old trailer. thanx

adult diapers - Posted by Steve-WA

Posted by Steve-WA on July 11, 2003 at 15:56:01:

Depends.

Check with the permit people in the county(ies) involved in the move, both origin, destination, and transit. This varies greatly, so you gotta ask your local folks. Some places will let anything be moved anywhere, some places not. Also, check around for movers. Some will cost - no kidding - half of the other guys, and do better work. Ask some PMs who gives the best value for a move. Also, let us know where you aretalking about - somebody here may know the specifics for which you seek, and/or may be able to recommend a good mover.

Entirely possible to make money with this!