3rd Water Leak From Upstairs Owner in Condo - Posted by Nancy(NC)

Posted by Nancy(NC) on July 10, 2006 at 18:43:18:

Sean:

Thanks for your post.

The guy above us is the son of the owner and appears to have problems. He probably shouldn’t be living alone. 3 leaks in 2 years seems excessive to me. I’ve had owned rental property for almost 30 years so I know holding properties can cost but you still do what you can to minimize those costs.

Nancy(NC)

3rd Water Leak From Upstairs Owner in Condo - Posted by Nancy(NC)

Posted by Nancy(NC) on July 09, 2006 at 11:00:25:

I bought a condo a couple years ago that had been foreclosed on and had lots of water damage from the condo above. We replaced the sheetrock and painted, etc. and have had it rented. About a year and a half ago, there was another leak that damaged the ceiling in the storage area - water heater I would think. Today I get a call from the tenant that water is running out her light fixture. I live 160 miles away so told her to go upstairs and tell the guy there (that condo owner’s son) to cut off the water and I have a fix it guy going out there. I also asked the tenant to keep the floors mopped until the water stops.

I guess I can get an attorney to recoup costs or go to small claims court (NC) but I don’t think I would ever get anything back from owner. She owns 4 other condos there and the homeowner’s assoc. is constantly putting liens on them. Another owner sued her for a water leak in his condo that’s below another of hers and lost in court.

Any suggestions???

Thanks,
Nancy (NC)

Re: 3rd Water Leak From Upstairs Owner in Condo - Posted by Karl

Posted by Karl on July 10, 2006 at 08:28:43:

I live in Florida and have dealt with numerous water intrusions from above condo apartments. Down here, the law is that the victims condo insurance covers the damage to their condo, less deductible. I have never had my insurance company argue with that. Typically, the companies that do the water damage clean up already know that and have taken care of the claim to my insurance, directly.

Re: 3rd Water Leak From Upstairs Owner in Condo - Posted by Nancy

Posted by Nancy on July 10, 2006 at 10:28:30:

Hi Karl:

Thanks for your post. The law is the same in NC but I don’t think I should have to keep paying my insurance deductible or out of pocket for somebody else’s continuous lack of responsibility. This condo is near the coast and it’s almost impossible to get insurance in this area now. A few claims against it will only mean we will get cancelled.

Nancy(NC)

Re: 3rd Water Leak From Upstairs Owner in Condo - Posted by Sean

Posted by Sean on July 10, 2006 at 13:58:25:

Is it lack of responsibility? Or just life?

If he perpetually overfills his bathtub and ruins your ceiling… that’s irresponsible… if his water heater or other plumbing behind the walls springs a leak out of the blue… that’s not exactly something you can do much about.

Even brand new plumbing can spring a leak… its part of life.

Holding properties costs money… I wish Carleton and Russ and Ron would make sure to tell people that little factoid…