30 day notice - Posted by Dana

Posted by JohnBoy on February 03, 2005 at 21:15:07:

How do you have until the 15th to be out? Does your lease run from the 15th of the month to the 15th? Or from the 1st to the 1st?

If your lease runs from the 1st to the 1st, then the 30 day noticed would need to run from the 1st to the 1st. You can’t give a 30 day notice in the middle of the month and expect it to go to the middle of the following month. If you give notice in the middle of a month then the 30 day notice would actually be from the 1st of the following month to the 1st of the next month. It’s not 30 days from any time of the month you decide. The 30 day notice runs with the monthly cycle of your lease.

So if your lease runs from the 1st to the 1st then your 30 day notice actually starts from the 1st of the following month from the time you gave notice. So you would owe the full month’s rent. Unless of course your lease states otherwise or unless the landlord agrees otherwise.

30 day notice - Posted by Dana

Posted by Dana on February 03, 2005 at 15:10:30:

I live in Ohio. I put in my 30 day notice to my landlord and have until the 15th to be out. Rent is due the 5th, so do I pay up until the 15th or do I have to pay the whole months rent? The landlord is demanding that I pay the whole month. Is she right, or is there something I can do about it? I want to make sure I get my deposit back with no problems.

Re: 30 day notice - Posted by eric

Posted by eric on February 04, 2005 at 13:25:42:

What does the lease say? Often, landlords pro-rate rent for when you move in, why not the same for when you move out. Either way you need to look to the language of the lease and to your state’s landlord tenant laws to find the answer.