$10,000+ deposits - Posted by Rick

Posted by JohnBoy on January 16, 2001 at 23:24:51:

Cash or checks, doesn’t matter. Any transactions of $10k or more, unless you were borrowing the money as a loan. Then if you took cash or a check in the amount of $10k or more and spent it on something the IRS would be notified by the retailer you spent the money with.

$10,000+ deposits - Posted by Rick

Posted by Rick on January 16, 2001 at 21:22:36:

Hi everyone.

I just wanted a few opinions about making deposits over $10,000 into your checking account. I’m aware of a law that requires banks to report this to the IRS, and that it may increase your risk of audit.

On the few closings I’ve done so far, I have always asked the title company to issue numerous checks, all under $10,000. Then I don’t deposit more than one a day.

Am I wasting my time, or could this be a worthwhile practice?

Rick

I too might be wrong, but… - Posted by TeddyB_SC

Posted by TeddyB_SC on January 17, 2001 at 22:03:46:

this sure sounds like “structuring” to me. It is against the law to structure financial transactions to avoid triggering the need to complete a CTR. This includes paying $9,000 today, $9,000 tomorrow, and $9,000 the next day, in order to purchase say, a $27,000 vehicle.

I might be wrong, but doesn’t … - Posted by Vic

Posted by Vic on January 16, 2001 at 23:09:37:

…that 10K that you deposit have to be all CASH before the IRS is notified? I was under the impression that the 10K had to be all cash in order for the bank to be notified. I may be wrong on this though. Something to look into though.

Vic

Re: $10,000+ deposits - Posted by JohnBoy

Posted by JohnBoy on January 16, 2001 at 23:04:03:

It’s not just depositing $10k into bank accounts either. Everytime your account balance reaches $10k increments the bank notify’s the IRS. Everytime you take out $10k or more the IRS is notified. Everytime you spend $10k or more on anything, the IRS is notified. So just depositing smaller checks into the bank will make no difference if the money is going into the same account. Each time the balance hits the $10k mark the IRS is notified. You would have to open separate accounts in different banks. Then make sure you watch the balance if the accounts earn interest. Once the interest you earn reaches a balance in your account of $10k, the IRS is notified!

If you buy a car over $10k and pay that amount or more up front, the IRS is notified. If you walked into the bank or Ford Credit to pay off a car loan that was $10k or more, they notify the IRS.

Since your sale is on record the title company will notify the IRS.

If you take $10k or more out of your account, the IRS is notified!

You can’t hide from the IRS unless you live and do business under a mattress!!! LOL

Re: $10,000+ deposits - Posted by JPiper

Posted by JPiper on January 16, 2001 at 22:32:31:

I agree with Dave. Besides, the title company is already reporting your sale to the IRS.

JPiper

Re: $10,000+ deposits - Posted by Dave T

Posted by Dave T on January 16, 2001 at 22:25:11:

If your tax return explains the source of the funds deposited, you don’t have any problem. Your concerns are just creating unnecessary stress.