Wide angle lens on digitals - Posted by BR

Posted by Kent C on April 14, 2002 at 19:37:03:

Well you cant add the lettering until you use the PC software it downloads into. But you can record sound associated with a picture, either as you take the pic or after. This was really cool. I took a pic, then while the pic was on screen selected sound and dubbed a message to be attached to the pic (cam has a condenser mic you cant even see on cam). When you download to pc later, the voice message is avail as a wav file associated with it. VERY cool camera and compact??? MAN is it ever. It came recommended to me as one of the best for optics, the size, voice, motion, dubbing, zoom and titling were all bonuses.

I would prefer the voice dub to titling on camera because it is quicker and more can be stated about condition, neighborhood, whatever.

I got mine with this in mind. I cruise houses and forget what notes went with what mental picture. Now Ill click away on all sides of house with a voice memo as I walk around. Of course a camcorder does this too. But I find I keep still photos much more than 8 mm. And this fits in a shirt pocket.

The line between digital camera and digital camcorder are blending. Each steps over into the others realm these days.

Kent Cheatham
cheatham@ionet.net

Wide angle lens on digitals - Posted by BR

Posted by BR on April 14, 2002 at 11:42:28:

Anyone using wide angle lens for indoor shots with digitals? I have found that most digital cameras have relatively poor internal flash units and they are located too close to the lens choking the flash when a wide angle lens is used. The external flash for the Olympus and Sony cameras are quite expensive. Many of the houses I need pics of don’t have the electricity on and are sometimes dark inside so I need one that performs well in this area. Anyone have one that performs well under these conditions?

Re: Wide angle lens on digitals - Posted by Stacy (AZ)

Posted by Stacy (AZ) on April 15, 2002 at 13:08:58:

I’ve done a little research on the Canon S330 (not 330S). The wide-angle capability isn’t spectacular. It’s only 35mm in macro mode…wide angle should go down to 28mm or even 24mm. However, it has a lot of nice features. The cheapest I found it today is at etronics.com, for $366 including shipping.

I think I’m going to continue to shop around. That wide-angle capability is too important to me to ignore.

Cannon 330S - Posted by Kent C

Posted by Kent C on April 14, 2002 at 12:15:24:

I just got this model and LOVE it. Does VERY well in twilight situations. Flash good for about 20 feet or so. Very smart camera. Cost me about $395. Very small to, about the size of a pack of cigarettes. Good zoom. Very easy to figure out. I didnt read the book. Just started playing with it. The LCD menu was the easiest to comprehend I have ever used.

Dont bother with extra battery…it lasts forever. Do get the 32mb extra mem card (200 photos). The one that comes with it does 50 pics (in good res mode on small pics (3"x4")).

Does 60 second full motion avi files with sound!!
Adds sound to pics too!!
Titles pics too!!

Very cool!

I may have to do walk thru’s on rentals now and put online.

Kent C
cheatham@ionet.net

Re: Wide angle lens on digitals - Posted by Ron (MD)

Posted by Ron (MD) on April 15, 2002 at 14:23:10:

Stacey,

I just bought a Kodak 4800, primarily because it has a true wide angle capability (28 mm). Everything else seems to go only to about 35mm. Also, it got good reviews at cnet.com and amazon.com.

I haven’t used it enough to offer my own opinion (especially since it’s my first digital camera).

This camera has been around for a while…I’m not sure it’s even currently offered. I bought mine used off of Ebay.

Ron Guy

Re: Cannon 330S - Posted by Heidi W

Posted by Heidi W on April 14, 2002 at 17:57:20:

Kent-

Please tell me more about the title pics feature. I’m looking for a digital that I can record the address of the property - WHILE I’M TAKING THE PHOTO - so I can remember it later.

Thanks,
Heidi