Who posted about catering to pet owners? - Posted by JoeKaiser

Posted by Tim on November 23, 2002 at 22:13:43:

I would have to say the my (real message) in regards to this subject of the Pittbull Terrier is one that is mentioned on this very site. Educate yourself before passing judgment, read anything written by Richard F. Stratton.

Who posted about catering to pet owners? - Posted by JoeKaiser

Posted by JoeKaiser on November 19, 2002 at 20:57:49:

I owe you. Please remind me who you are (I think it was a woman). Thanks.

Joe

Animal Planet had a show… - Posted by AWWMi.

Posted by AWWMi. on November 20, 2002 at 20:10:22:

about Humane Society ‘animal cops’ in Detroit responding to a complaint. In a nutshell, it involved something around over 200 cats removed from a cat lover’s house!!! Yes, the guy was living in there with them. There was even a dead cat out in the front yard. Can you imagine cleaning up if you were a landlord? I think I would have to trade cleaning up jobs with even a U.N. inspector in Iraq.

Re: Who posted about catering to pet owners? - Posted by Anne_ND

Posted by Anne_ND on November 20, 2002 at 07:31:02:

Hi Joe,

Depending on the post, it might have been me. We only rent to pet owners and our only vacancy was one month in a condo that doesn’t allow pets.

By the way, we owe you big time for the great ideas in your foreclosure course.

best regards,
Anne

Re: Who posted about catering to pet owners? - Posted by Frank

Posted by Frank on November 20, 2002 at 06:23:35:

Joe,
Please elaborate on your good experience.
I remember her post but not the exact context.
Was it the one that said pet owners take care of the place better or was it something else?

Probably Anne (ND)… very sharp gal (nt) - Posted by JT-IN

Posted by JT-IN on November 19, 2002 at 21:07:48:

$

Why spayed or neutered? - Posted by randyOH

Posted by randyOH on November 20, 2002 at 17:26:43:

Anne,
I also rent to people with pets. For me, the reason is simply that my experience is that most tenants will have a pet eventually regardless of what they tell you on their application. So I ask on the application what pets they have and take that into consideration in selecting the tenant.

But I have not been inquiring about whether the pet is spayed or neutered. How does that make a difference to me as the property owner? Could you enlighten me on this issue?
Thanks,
Randy

Install special flooring, etc.? NT - Posted by Glen FL

Posted by Glen FL on November 20, 2002 at 14:17:19:

NT

What about… - Posted by Hank

Posted by Hank on November 20, 2002 at 13:23:40:

Cats that aren’t “fixed” and spray all over the place?

And the Bull Terrier types?

Are there any restrictions? - Posted by gwtx

Posted by gwtx on November 20, 2002 at 12:21:21:

Anne,

OK. You have my couriosity going now. What do you mean by little fluffys?

Where you draw the line. Cats only? Dogs under 15 lbs?
Can I bring in my well behaved pot bellied pig?

Just wondering.

gary

Re: Who posted about catering to pet owners? - Posted by JoeKaiser

Posted by JoeKaiser on November 20, 2002 at 12:04:32:

Hi Anne,

I’d like to learn more about what you’ve learned in your experience with renting exclusively to pet owning tenants. What sort of policies to you have in place, etc? How about rents? Are you able to charge a premium and if so, how much? Deposits? Nonrefundable?

I’ve been playing around with it myself and would like to compare notes. Thanks!

www.weacceptpets.com

Joe Kaiser

Profit in the niches… - Posted by Hal Roark

Posted by Hal Roark on November 20, 2002 at 10:41:45:

Anne,

I agree completely. If one learns to master this niche, it can be very lucrative. Just like all niches.

Hal

Re: Who posted about catering to pet owners? - Posted by Dee-Texas

Posted by Dee-Texas on November 20, 2002 at 07:10:51:

If a person has had a pet for a while and treats them like children, they will pay a premium for rentals or L/O’s. Most LL’s don’t allow pets. I have allowed pets with a hefty pet fee for a long time. I had rather have a well behave fluffy than a pack of children ANYTIME! I rent to both of course but my houses that have children need much more repair than fluffy’s house.
Be sure to always meet the pet or pets. Getting upfront NON -refundable money on each pet.
The post wasn’t from me but this is how I do it.
Best $uccess,
Dee-Texas

I 2nd That JT nt. - Posted by phil fernandez

Posted by phil fernandez on November 20, 2002 at 07:38:43:

nt.

Thanks JT! - Posted by Anne_ND

Posted by Anne_ND on November 20, 2002 at 07:33:14:

I’ve got a smile on all day today from that!

Anne

Re: Why spayed or neutered? - Posted by Anne_ND

Posted by Anne_ND on November 20, 2002 at 17:42:01:

Unneutered male cats will usually spray when they become mature, especially if there are other animals around, but sometimes just for the joy of it. That’s why people need to replace the bottom 2 feet of drywall in a house with lots of cat smell- the cat has sprayed against the wall, not just on the floor. They are marking their territory.

Unneutered male dogs and cats are also less friendly than neutered males, and can become aggressive. Even if it’s not your fault, if you rent to an owner of an aggressive dog you could be liable for any dog bites.

Unspayed females can have kittens or puppies, and they can do quite a bit of damage to your property.

I also feel it’s a measure of how responsible the owner is if they go to the trouble of having their pet fixed. It can be expensive, but almost always improves the health of the pet, and is therefore an indicator of how responsible the pet owner is.

Anne

floors - Posted by Anne_ND

Posted by Anne_ND on November 20, 2002 at 16:27:30:

We use high-quality carpet and linoleum in the rehabs. Our assumption is that the pet will not be pee-ing in the house. Perhaps a flawed assumption, but I’ve had no problems yet with that.

Anne

Regarding Pit Bulls, Rottweiler, etc… - Posted by Adam (Austin)

Posted by Adam (Austin) on November 20, 2002 at 18:06:48:

Please see my post, above.

Nothing more than breed racism and media hype.

The thing to pay attention to is the demeanor of the owners, much more than the dogs.

no testicles allowed in my houses, sorry - Posted by Anne_ND

Posted by Anne_ND on November 20, 2002 at 16:24:59:

at least not on the pets…

sorry, couldn’t resist.

:slight_smile:

Re: Are there any restrictions? - Posted by Anne_ND

Posted by Anne_ND on November 20, 2002 at 16:23:44:

I’d have to read up on the habits of a pot-bellied pig, but I hear they’re pretty clean and well-mannered. We had a 10’ python in one house for a while, but then the tenants got married to each other and the wife booted the snake.

Large dogs are okay as long as my insurer doesn’t consider them to be ‘guard’ or ‘attack’ dogs, in which case my hazard coverage evaporates.

Anne