who pays for survey? - Posted by Mel

Posted by Marc NJ on June 12, 2003 at 24:55:39:

Where I’m from it is common for the buyer to pay for the survey.
Hope This helps,
Marc NJ
Statewide Property Solutions LLc
Manahawkin, NJ

who pays for survey? - Posted by Mel

Posted by Mel on June 10, 2003 at 19:20:20:

I am selling my house in Ohio and we have had it for 30+ years. The real estate agent is telling me that the recorder’s office requires my property be surveyed for sale. The buyer purchased at an absolute auction.

Am I obligated to pay for a survey if:
-I did not sign anything saying I would pay for any needed survey
-no where (that I can find) in the Ohio revised code does it state who pays for this

Is the responsibility of payment just a local custom?

Thanks for all replies!

Re: who pays for survey? - Posted by Tim Fierro (Tacoma, WA)

Posted by Tim Fierro (Tacoma, WA) on June 13, 2003 at 03:32:46:

Make sure too that Ohio, or your county in this case, really does need to have a survey upon a transfer of property.

Here, it is not mandated you have to have a survey done when a property transfers. If one wants a survey, it will be paid by the party who wants it done. This can be part of the contract for purchase, or it can be left out.

Local custom? First check to see if is required to transfer, then work from that. If required, it would seem appropriate that the seller is the one who will pay for it since it is a requirement in order to transfer property. If it is not required by state, county, or city; then it is up for negotiations who will pay for it and who will order it. Another negotiation is whether or not you want to have it in the P&S, but instead tell the buyer to survey it after they purchase.

Re: who pays for survey? - Posted by REI Mentor

Posted by REI Mentor on June 11, 2003 at 14:58:41:

Yes, it is common practice for the seller to pay for the survey as part of their costs. Unfortunately this is part of every county’s way of getting more money out of people every time there is a property transfer. Part of the closing procedure is making sure the survey is certified and current.

And if you’ve owned the property for more than 30 years I suspect you will have to get a full survey done. Sometimes when it’s been done recently you can get it RE-CERTIFIED (costs less) but not in this case I don’t believe.

Good luck,

REIMentor