Which book is better to start with? - Posted by Lyle Steinhardt

Posted by Lyle Steinhardt on June 19, 2001 at 12:31:07:

Thanks to both of you…

Ron, Currently I’m a man without a State…living overseas and don’t know where I’ll live when I come back.

David, I Think I’ll start with OWC and go from there.

Thanks again.

Lyle

Which book is better to start with? - Posted by Lyle Steinhardt

Posted by Lyle Steinhardt on June 18, 2001 at 15:09:31:

Hello you experts!

I have about two years to study for my second career…Discounted Notes. I think this looks like where I might want to begin with investing in real estate. My question…which book should I start with? Owner Will Carry or Calculator Power?

I’ll move on to the courses after I know a bit more about what I’ve been reading…

Thanks.
Lyle

Re: Which book is better to start with? - Posted by Ronald * Starr

Posted by Ronald * Starr on June 18, 2001 at 20:20:13:

Lyle Steinhardt-------------

The best book on the topic of notes, in my opinion, is George Coats “Investing in Notes for the Smart Investors,” or something close to that. It is for the state of CA. However, much of it is good for other states also. It is not real easy to read, but it is good.

Some people like Jimmie Napier’s “Invest in Debt.” This is a much shorter book, written in a “down home” style, intended for beginners. jimmie Lives in Chipley, FL. His address there was Drawer F, Chipley, FL .

FOr my state, CA, I found a book written by an attorney for other attorneys. It is something like “Mortgage and Trust Deed Practice in CA.” Maybe you couild find something similar for your state.

Good Investing and Good ReadingRon Starr**

Re: Which book is better to start with? - Posted by David Butler

Posted by David Butler on June 18, 2001 at 20:11:41:

Hello Lyle,

Personally, I would say starting with OWNER WILL CARRY would be the practical move… learning about the concepts, the forms, the various considerations, the valuable principles that tie the aspects of seller-financing to real-estate financing… i.e, what seller-financing and working with private notes is all about.

The natural progression would then be to Jon Richards’ CALCULATOR POWER, to develop and expand your skills in working with financial calculators, the time-value-of-money, the different types of repayment structures you will encounter out in the field, deal structuring strategies, and various other note related math skills you need, in order to expand your understanding of what to do, and how to do it.

That’s my take on it anyway… I hope that helps, and best wishes for your success in exploring the “Wizard of Odds”… :wink:

David P. Butler