What are the rules for posting here? - Posted by John Sheridan

Posted by John Sheridan on August 16, 2005 at 09:39:31:

Thanks everyone for the replies. I wasn’t really taking the post deletions personally, I was more concerned about the newbie who simply got their post whisked away. I remember a female name, and she sounded kind of young. She didn’t mention any specific names, just said something like “I saw an infomercial about making good money by purchasing notes, what do you think”. I posted a URL to a “Don’t believe the hype” site.

Now this poor noob probably thinks this is a lousy place and may never come back. I hope she at least got my warning in her e-mail before she blows all kinds of money on something that might be total hype…

What are the rules for posting here? - Posted by John Sheridan

Posted by John Sheridan on August 15, 2005 at 12:14:01:

Earlier today, someone posted a message asking for information about notes brokering that they “saw on a TV infomercial”.

I posted what I thought was a perfectly good reply, citing a URL with important information about said infomercials.

Now the original post and my reply are both gone.

Did I do something wrong? If so, please let me know so I can avoid doing it again.

Re: What are the rules for posting here? - Posted by JT-IN

Posted by JT-IN on August 15, 2005 at 13:50:15:

Rules:

WELCOME. This is a forum for discussing real estate investing, real estate investments, no money down and no down payment creative real estate techniques, and all other real estate investing related subjects.

You are free to ask questions and say anything you want to say about these topics.

Here is what is NOT permitted:

1. Advertisements or solicitations.
  2. Untrue defamatory statements.
  3. Obscenities.
  4. Name calling and personal attacks.
  5. Posts not related to real estate investing.

Your post of a URL may have violated Rule # 1, as the marketing or advertising of another site or service. It may have also been the mention of another company or party who has been banished by the management of the site. (The priviledge of Free Enterprise). Your answer lies with one or the other…

JT-IN

Re: What are the rules for posting here? - Posted by John Sheridan

Posted by John Sheridan on August 15, 2005 at 14:31:17:

Yes I saw those 5 rules on the forum homepage – I was of the opinion that the URL I posted was not an advertisement but was in answer to a question that was asked.

I sure would like to hear from whomever deleted the posts. This is the only forum I have seen where posts get deleted without any explanation…

Re: What are the rules for posting here? - Posted by Kristine-CA

Posted by Kristine-CA on August 16, 2005 at 02:06:42:

John: you can ask the owners/moderators why they deleted the post.
But IMO you are better off not thinking about it too much. You could
have mentioned a link that sells competing REI material. Or the link
contained info or leads to parties that the moderators do not agree
with. Or whatever. It’s totally their call.

It’s part of the deal with this message board. There are good people
who won’t post here because of the “censorship.” However, most
threads stay totally intact. But there are rarely explanations when
things are deleted. So that’s why I suggest not thinking about it too
much. It’s definitely not personal–unless they delete everything you
post. Then maybe you should ask them why. :slight_smile: Kristine

Re: What are the rules for posting here? - Posted by Tom-FL

Posted by Tom-FL on August 15, 2005 at 20:51:33:

As kevin said, infomercial posts are not allowed on this forum. Additionally, when a post is deleted, all the replies go too.

Re: What are the rules for posting here? - Posted by Kevin IL

Posted by Kevin IL on August 15, 2005 at 16:01:30:

Below the 5 rules is this:

Please Note: Questions or comments regarding infomercial personalities like Carlton Sheets and others should be posted on News Group II.

Perhaps it was deleted for being poste in the wrong forum? Best to check with jeanne as JT suggested.

Re: What are the rules for posting here? - Posted by JT-IN

Posted by JT-IN on August 15, 2005 at 14:46:51:

John:

The trigger may have been the mention of the Note Brokering program in the original post, and nothing that you posted in your answer…

Yes, when deemed appropriate, posts are deleted as mgmt sees fit. It still amazes me that folks seem to think that this site should be run like the business that it is, by the folks who own the business… This is debated from time to time…

What you might do is to drop Jeanne a line at jeanne@creonline.com and ask for some clarification on the situation, and then you will know what the circumstances were that led to the deletion… like it or not.

JT-IN