What a great bunch o' folks! - Posted by Bill Gatten

Posted by Jim Kennedy - Houston, TX on October 23, 2000 at 22:11:36:

I keep a copy of the TPC (Texas Property Code) handy, but I don’t have a copy of the TRC (Texas Rules of Court). Bud’s tip references TRC, Rule 740, which has to do with the landlord posting a “Bond for Possession”. In Texas, evictions proceed at a fairly quick pace starting with a 3-day notice to pay or vacate, followed by an eviction suit (Forcible Detainer or Forcible Entry & Detainer), which generally results in a writ of possession unless the tenant files an appeal. An appeal bumps the case out of Justice of the Peace Court and up to County Court which causes considerable delay. Apparently, under Rule 740, the landlord has the right to file a “Bond for Possession” at the same time he files the “Forcible Entry & Detainer” and this would significantly reduce the delay caused by a tenant’s appeal.

Again, my gratitude goes to Bud Branstetter for sharing this.

Best of Success!!

Jim Kennedy,
Houston, TX

What a great bunch o’ folks! - Posted by Bill Gatten

Posted by Bill Gatten on October 23, 2000 at 12:54:47:

This is just to thank all those of you who saw fit to join us in Dallas and Houston this past week for the PACTrust workshops.

Man! What a nice bunch. Im am now thinking about publising a Texas-humor joke book. Believe me, if you’re ever fortunate enough to spend time with the likes of the Texas CRE folks, be ready to put your laughing boots on.

Thank you all (“y’all”), and a special thanks to those who just couldn’t get enough in Houston and decided to drive the three hours on down to Dallas to do it all over again.

A little known scientific fact offered by Jim Kennedy for the rest of the group: “The shortest distance between any two points in Houston is…always ‘under construction’.” Thanks, Jim, now we have to change our workbooks.

Bill

Re: What a great bunch o’ folks! - Posted by Jim Kennedy - Houston, TX

Posted by Jim Kennedy - Houston, TX on October 23, 2000 at 15:17:40:

Bill,

Thanks for your kind words about us Texans. We’re really just a bunch of ‘country folk’ tryin’ to ‘larn’ the ways of you big time investors.

BTW, the workshops were both excellent. Sorry to disappoint if you thought I went to the second workshop because you were such an entertaining and captivating speaker at the first workshop (which of course you were). But the reality is that I’m just slow enough that it takes at least twice as much “teachin’” for me to “git” half as much “larning”. (LOL)

Traveling from Houston to Dallas was a drop in the bucket compared to the distance Carlos and his lovely wife Rebecca traveled. They flew all the way to Houston from New York just to attend the workshop. Talk about committed to learning!!

For the benefit of those visitors to this site who’ve never been to one of Mr. Gatten’s workshops, let me tell you that it was time well spent. I’m a full-time investor and there were several other full-timers at each workshop, however the majority of the attendees were novices. The material was comprehensive without being overwhelming for the newbies. And it was delivered with enthusiasm and panache. Each one of the attendees that I spoke with (experienced as well as novice) had nothing but good things to say about the workshop. If you have the opportunity to attend one of Bill’s workshops, I would strongly suggest that you do so.

One of the benefits of traveling up to Dallas for Bill’s workshop, was the opportunity to visit with some of the CREOnliners that live in that area. Got to spend some time with Lori and Greg Samson. Now there’s a couple of enthusiastic folks! Also finally got to meet Bud Branstetter, whose posts I’ve enjoyed for quite some time. He shared a tip (that I didn’t know) about evictions in Texas. Here I thought I knew everything there was to know about Texas evictions, and in conversation over dinner, Bud gives me a tip that I’m sure will save me money and aggravation on my next eviction. Thanks, Bud!

And thanks to Bill Gatten and his able and hard-working associate, Jim Paquini. You guys did a great job with both workshops.

Best of Success!!

Jim Kennedy,
Houston, TX

Re: What a great bunch o’ folks! - Posted by Terry (Houston)

Posted by Terry (Houston) on October 23, 2000 at 13:36:29:

There is an old joke that says:
The sun will lose all of it’s energy and extinguish itself within the next 3000 years.

I guess they will have to finish HWY. 75 in the dark.

Re: What a great bunch o’ folks! - Posted by CARLOS E. CORTES

Posted by CARLOS E. CORTES on October 23, 2000 at 21:27:44:

Just to second Jim in everything about Bill’s workshop.
Bill & Jim did a wonderful presentation and my hat go to them. Also my hat to Mr. Jim Kennedy and Mr. Randy O. for sharing their knowledge and time with me and my wife. Thank for your hospitality with us. We really enjoy our short time in Houston. Can’t wait to go back!

Best Regard to y’all
Carlos E. Cortes (NY)

Re: What a great bunch o’ folks! - Posted by tb

Posted by tb on October 23, 2000 at 19:33:52:

Hi Jim,

You wouldnt mind posting that little ol Texas eviction trick, would ya?

Thanking you in advance. tb