West End of Atlanta - Posted by Ben (FL)

Posted by michaela-ATL on June 09, 2003 at 09:53:50:

Scott,
Maybe I was informed wrongly. I really don’t know. I do know, that there are some very different neighborhoods in that zipcoe - some real warzones, north of Vine City and some areas (riverside, off Bolton Rd), that are being heavily renovated and ahve lots of new construction.

Michaela

West End of Atlanta - Posted by Ben (FL)

Posted by Ben (FL) on June 07, 2003 at 13:43:39:

I’m considering purchasing property in the West End of Atlanta. I live in Florida, and another investor I know who recently moved here form Atlanta has told me that the West End is on the upswing. If any of you have any insight into the area, I would appreciate it very much. The property is a series of Section 8 duplexes.
Thanks

Re: West End of Atlanta - Posted by michaela-ATL

Posted by michaela-ATL on June 07, 2003 at 15:01:01:

I’d be careful about buying out of state. Yes, West end has gradually increased. There are some gorgeous 400K victorians and there are some rundown section 8 propertiesl. There are pockets of each. It really depends.

The thing is also, that Section 8 is phasing out a lot of the old contracts. the seller’s market in atlanta has been really , realy slow, so a lot of investors have turned their normal rentals or even rehabbed retial proeprties over to section 8. Section 8 has a glut of hosues available to chose from and they pick the nicest ones.Several zipcodes have been completely eliminated by them.

You better know all the angles on your property

michaela

Re: West End of Atlanta - Posted by adamliebs

Posted by adamliebs on June 07, 2003 at 22:47:39:

Michaela-

I’m a newbie in atlanta and have been offered some section 8 properties. If you don’t mind sharing the info with me, what zip codes have closed out section 8? Thanks in advance.

Re: West End of Atlanta - Posted by michaela-ATL

Posted by michaela-ATL on June 08, 2003 at 09:48:32:

Adam,

I personally don’t invest in section 8, so i can only tell you, what i’ve heard form other landlords. 30318 is one are,t hey’ve pulled out of, supposedly. Then 30314 is another area, that they’re trying to let their contracts expire. Traditionally the war zones have been section 8, but with such a glut of nicer houses and areas being available they’re picking and chosing. They’ve also gone to the point system and properties are rates from A-F, depending on different criterias and the payscale is accordingly. If you have a boarded up house on your street - strike against you. Any commercial on your street - strike against you etc.

Michaela

Re: West End of Atlanta - Posted by Scott (GA)

Posted by Scott (GA) on June 09, 2003 at 08:34:47:

Hi Michaela,

FYI - I have a home in 30318 area and it is not being pulled out. I do know the housing authority is going after some of the “bad” landlords that don’t maintain their homes and telling them to fix them or get out. I haven’t heard of entire zip codes being removed, but I’ll investigate further just to satisfy my interests :wink:

Specific to 30318, there is a lot of new construction and “beautification” going on in my section of 30318. In fact, a brand new subdivision is going in right next door to my home. A new golf course is in the works with several new parks.

-Scott