"We Buy Ugly Houses" Ad Problem - Posted by Diego TX

Posted by David Alexander on June 26, 2001 at 12:00:28:

Coca Cola in red too… but when something works…

Well,… dont fix it if it ain’t broke.

David Alexander

“We Buy Ugly Houses” Ad Problem - Posted by Diego TX

Posted by Diego TX on June 25, 2001 at 18:05:59:

Here’s My Problem:

In the Real Estate Notices section of my local newspaper, there are over 14 “We Buy Ugly Homes” type ads. This is a problem for me. How am I supposed to market using ads, now? How am I supposed to stand out, and find motivated sellers?!?

Thanks in advance for all responses.

Re: “We Buy Ugly Houses” Ad Problem - Posted by SueC

Posted by SueC on June 29, 2001 at 10:36:44:

Are these ads running EVERY DAY? Or just Sundays? I am running my ad every day, and get calls every day. The ad started on a Thursday and I got two calls that day. There was only mine and one other ad, but on Sunday there are five or six.

Mine says: CASH FOR UGLY HOUSES: Fixers, Dumps, Vacant, Trashed. $$ For Leads 877-693-6527."

I’m running it in two weeklies and one daily.

Just an idea.

Re: “We Buy Ugly Houses” Ad Problem - Posted by Carey_PA

Posted by Carey_PA on June 26, 2001 at 09:28:56:

Diego,

That is GREAT that there are 14 other ads in the paper, because you know that there is a market there and that those ads ARE WORKING.

Just place your ad right along with the rest. The people that call one of these ads, CALL THEM ALL! They will call all 14 or 15 or 20 ads if there is that many.

The key here is that when they call you, YOU HAVE TO CALL THEM BACK RIGHT AWAY! Alot of times the other folks won’t even return the call.

I had a seller call me once and told me that he called every ad in the we buy houses section and I was the only person that returned his call :slight_smile:

good luck,

CAREY

P.S. My answering machine message (IF I DON’T PICK UP) states that I will return your call within 24hrs!

Re: “We Buy Ugly Houses” Ad Problem - Posted by Dee-Texas

Posted by Dee-Texas on June 26, 2001 at 07:15:00:

Problem Challenged houses…we buy them all, We’re the problem solvers!
Dee-Texas
At least it’s orginal. smile

I had some luck with… - Posted by steph in tex

Posted by steph in tex on June 26, 2001 at 06:54:33:

The …“call me LAST” ad. Then say something about “after you’ve shopped the others, call us… we’ll pay more.”
Then I had really great luck with
…“if you absolutely, positively have to sell today call…”
that one blew my socks off. Scared me even!

Hope this helps.
Good luck

Steph in Tex

Run the ad upside down (nt) - Posted by Paul_MA

Posted by Paul_MA on June 26, 2001 at 01:35:24:

nt

Re: “We Buy Ugly Houses” Ad Problem - Posted by David Alexander

Posted by David Alexander on June 26, 2001 at 24:16:18:

Run your ads in the penny saver type papers…

Also, dont worry about it. I have my ads running and compete with no less than 10 other investors also…

You will as Steve has said get good at qualifying or locking (convincing them you can and will solve their problem) up deals before they call the next ad.

The cool thing is you’ll probably get to know the other investors and what they do… find the deals that dont do and get good at those… most investors buy All Cash and that’s only one way… that’s only about 25% of the deals out there.

David Alexander

Where is the problem??? - Posted by SCook85

Posted by SCook85 on June 25, 2001 at 23:13:46:

Diego,

You will have to forgive me. I always look for the good in things and not for the bad. If there are 14 people willing to put ads in your local paper and run them consistantly then you don’t have a problem. They all wouldn’t be running their ads consistantly if they weren’t working. You must be in a very good market when 14 people can run the same ad and they can all leave it in the paper.

I would imagine that you don’t have to worry about getting the phone ringing but instead you will have to do a better job when the phone does ring. Based off of all the other ads (that are probably tried and tested) I can safely assume that you will get calls also.

Best of luck,

Steve

Re: “We Buy Ugly Houses” Ad Problem - Posted by Jim IL

Posted by Jim IL on June 25, 2001 at 22:56:37:

Diego,
This should be easy. To get your ad to stick out, make it different than the rest.
What about something like, “CASH FOR HOUSES, Ugly and not so ugly. Fast close, top dollar paid! xxx-xxx-xxxx”

Or something.
Just use your imagination, and try the ad for a little while, changing it up until you find some that work well for you.

But, you may also NOT want to rely solely on your newspaper ad. Market some other ways as well.
Check the archives here for some ideas, there are a ton.
Take care and good luck,
Jim IL

Re: “We Buy Ugly Houses” Ad Problem - Posted by Sherry W

Posted by Sherry W on June 25, 2001 at 22:11:01:

I have found the same problem. I thought of putting my ad at the top of the page - but bigger. So the ad will stand out.

Re: “We Buy Ugly Houses” Ad Problem - Posted by kdimm

Posted by kdimm on June 25, 2001 at 20:38:26:

How about…I Buy VERY UGLY Houses???

Re: try this - Posted by Ed Copp (OH)

Posted by Ed Copp (OH) on June 25, 2001 at 19:11:10:

“I BUY SHARP HOUSES”.

Place that right in with all the others…

Re: I had some luck with… - Posted by Kim (FL)

Posted by Kim (FL) on June 26, 2001 at 07:01:17:

I’m getting sick of the “I buy ugly houses” ad. Can’t we investors be more original?? Seems like that’s EVERYWHERE now!!! Just a thought!!