want to get into RE - Posted by Ginger

Posted by Ken (ILL) on September 07, 2001 at 18:23:18:

There is no way to go but up! Try to put youself into positions that will allow you to use Other People’s Money. There are several courses out there ranging from about $250.00 to $2,000.00. Think this thought… but houses like you’re broke… ALWAYS.

want to get into RE - Posted by Ginger

Posted by Ginger on September 07, 2001 at 11:38:46:

I have bad credit but would like to know if there is a course, book or something that could help me get started? No money, bad credit…am I a dreamer I truly am not a flake just had problems and would like to make some real money and RE is the way to go, I think…help

Re: want to get into RE - Posted by Jim FL

Posted by Jim FL on September 08, 2001 at 01:00:09:

Ginger,
Welcome aboard.
This business is truly an adventure.
You will learn things that others simply cannot imagine, and therefore will shun you for thinking “outside the box”.
So, be prepared for it.
And, as with any adventure, you need to start with education.
Read EVERYTHING you can get your hands on about real estate investing.
Go to the library and get books on it, read all the things this website has to offer.
You will then see and here about many different ways to buy houses and profit from it.
After you see one that you feel you understand, study it. Look thru the archives, ask questions to clarify, and get a course on the subject.
They are all good, and each offers many similair things, as well as different perspectives.
Do a web search and seek out all the news groups there are on the topic.
You are on one of the best ones now, and there are others as well.
After you think you have a technique down, begin to market, and apply it.
All the while, continuing to read, and come here.
Talk to other investors when you can, and ignore those who offer advice making less money than you want to make, or with less freedom.

The business will come, if you stick with it.
Be prepared for mistakes, and learn from them.

Hope I didn’t ramble at all, but this stuff is addicting.

By the way, where are you?
You may want to include that with your name as well, like I have the “FL” after my name.
This helps people find others in their areas that may be able to help or work with.

Take care,
Jim FL

P.S. One other thing.
You said you have had some problems?
Haven’t we all.
The thing to do while learning to buy houses, is to also study what your problem was, and learn to adjust your beahvior from allowing it to happen again.
No matter how much money you make, it is always possible to be “Broke”.
Fix whatever made it that way and learn to keep what you earn in RE.
Ask me how I know this? (Someone else keeps saying that, and I like it too.)