VETERAN LANDLORDS - Need help - Posted by Erin (detroit)

Posted by RichV(FL) on March 19, 2003 at 19:00:34:

ok…

VETERAN LANDLORDS - Need help - Posted by Erin (detroit)

Posted by Erin (detroit) on March 19, 2003 at 14:52:49:

Does anyone have a good check-in/check-out form? I bought the Bronchick “Nut and Bolts” but it does not have a landlord check-in/check-out. The one it does have (correct me if I am wrong) is used more for reviewing a potential property for purchase. I have heard this is critical in case I have to go to court, so I am looking for one from a landlord who has been doing this awhile. Any help is always appreciated.

Thanks.

Erin (detroit)

Re: VETERAN LANDLORDS - Need help - Posted by GL - ON

Posted by GL - ON on March 19, 2003 at 15:07:06:

You should also use a video camera to film the tenant in the apartment (every room) before they move in. This avoids all those “It was missing/broken/burnt/filthy/painted black when I moved in” arguments.

Re: VETERAN LANDLORDS - Posted by BIGDADDY(MD)

Posted by BIGDADDY(MD) on March 19, 2003 at 17:04:52:

To All,

Everything that you guy’s have mentioned is great but when I do rentals I take it one step farther.

After taking the pictures I have the renter sign a statement that the pictures reflect the property condition prior to them moving in and taking possession. I then make a copy of the affadavit for their folder / file and I immediately take it along with the pictures (Copies - get or make double prints) to the Post Office where I mail them back to myself / company via First Class Mail. Once I receive them back I just put that package in their folder / file without ever having opened them. Now you have an OFFICIAL DATE (Post Mark) verifying the date that the pictures had to have been taken by. Believe me, it can be useful in court. You just have to explain why you did it to the judge at which point they can sometimes seem pretty shocked at how clever us investors can be.

Hope this helps.

BIGDADDY(MD)

I use both - Posted by Jim FL

Posted by Jim FL on March 19, 2003 at 15:28:03:

GL,
Good idea about using the camera.
I do that, but with a digital camera instead, saving the images on a disk, printing them for the file, as well as on my hard drive, with a time/date stamp on the picture.
I also have a move in/move out check list we use, and the tenant signs this before they take possession.

So far, not had any problems, and most judges when they see we are this complete will usually just give us a judgement without much fuss.

Take care,
Jim FL

Re: I use both - Posted by RichV(FL)

Posted by RichV(FL) on March 19, 2003 at 15:41:17:

Jim,

I do the same thing you do…its the best way to back yourself up. As long as you have your pictures and the move in/move out form signed by both parties you’re good to go.

Good Investing,

RichV(FL)

Re: I use both - Posted by Jim FL

Posted by Jim FL on March 19, 2003 at 15:42:53:

Rich,
I am sorry if I’m mistaken here, but aren’t you near Sarasota, FL.?

If so, can you drop me a line off the board in e-mail?

Thanks,
Jim FL