Try this on for SIZE! - Posted by G. DeMars

Posted by G. DeMars on June 13, 2002 at 12:48:17:

They now have a covered carport. They also have plans for a garage, and we’re getting estimates on construction costs for to build it.

Thanks to everyone for your input!

Try this on for SIZE! - Posted by G. DeMars

Posted by G. DeMars on June 13, 2002 at 24:51:57:

We?re in contract to buy a nice 3,400 sq ft house. Well allow me to rephrase that: We?re in contract to buy a nice 3,400 sq ft house. On second thought we don?t know the sq ft we?re looking at buying.

A few years ago the owners converted the garage into a family room. The job was done with permits and to a very high standard. From both the exterior and the interior the remodel looks and feels like it was part of the original design and construction. However on all public records the living space is indicated at 3,400.

The owner says that they never had the new space re-assessed because they didn?t want the property tax increased.

With houses in the area selling at $175 a sq ft, the extra 400 sq ft would be nice to legitimize and advertise.

Is that a good idea, and how do we go about making it happen?

Thanks!

Re: Try this on for SIZE! - Posted by JohnBoy

Posted by JohnBoy on June 13, 2002 at 11:01:04:

When they converted the garage did they have a new garage built or is there no garage at all now? If there is no garage at all then that would make the property less desireable in my opinion. Most buyers want garages regardless of how nice the rest of the property is.

But regardless, I wouldn’t say anything to the assessors office to get the square footage changed. You can leave that option up to the buyers if they think that is important to them. I would think most buyers would elect to leave it alone so they wouldn’t have to pay higher taxes! Just tell the appraiser to measure the property if he needs to when he comes out to do the appraisal.

Re: Try this on for SIZE! - Posted by Tim Fierro (Tacoma, WA)

Posted by Tim Fierro (Tacoma, WA) on June 13, 2002 at 09:19:22:

Do houses without garages go for $175sqft less then houses with garges? :slight_smile:

Really though, a house is worth what it is worth. If assessed value is $80k and the FMV is $100k, do you really want to have the assessor come out and tell you that he will raise your taxes based on the new assessment of $100k? Why?

Legitimize and advertise? Big house, Over 3,000 Sq Ft!

If you believe that the house you are under contract with is worth an extra $70k based on some sqft dollar amount, and buyers are buying based on this; then go for it. However if they are only paying what the house is worth regardless if it is $175 sqft, or $125 sqft; then that is what you sell it for.

FMV is just that, FMV.

I would not call the assessor to purposely raise the taxes.

Re: Try this on for SIZE! - Posted by Troy M

Posted by Troy M on June 13, 2002 at 07:17:40:

Just advertise the thing as 3800 sq. ft. If & when you get a real apraissal (Not an assessment), the apraisser will take into account the extra 400 sq. ft. so long as the quality of construction is comparable to the rest of the house and it is heated/cooled. Makes NO sense to ask for a reassessment, unless things work completely different in your area.

Troy