Thresholds for laminate flooring - Posted by Keith (OH)

Posted by Tony Colella on April 17, 2009 at 12:39:08:

exactly

Thresholds for laminate flooring - Posted by Keith (OH)

Posted by Keith (OH) on April 17, 2009 at 10:34:27:

I am looking for some alternatives to the high priced thresholds for laminate flooring. I can’t come up with anything that will go over the laminate but still leave the gap for expansion. I am wrapping up a laminate job and I have at least 10 different areas that need thresholds. At Lowes cost, that would run me about $300 bucks !! Not my idea of a good bang for the buck.

The floor area had carpet in it and the thresholds that were used are the metal kind that bascially pinch the carpet. I opened one of these up by prying it apart and laid the laminate right up to it and then tapped it back down and they actually do catch the top surface of the laminate but its pretty tight. If they made these carpet thresholds a litte deeper this would work fairly well (and they are cheap) but I haven’t found any yet.

Keith

Re: Thresholds for laminate flooring - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by Tony Colella on April 17, 2009 at 12:07:17:

In nearly every case I no longer buy trim or thresholds. For laminate seems I use a 1x3 firring strip that I use a table saw to bevel. I undercut the wood if one flooring is higher than another (example carpet to laminate). These are thick, durable (and I stain them to match the 1x2 trim work that I ripped and stained).

So far they have held up very well. They do stand out a bit but as thick as they are they are not hidden. By beveling I limit the trip hazard concern.

The entire 8ft board can be use to do most of the house’s thresholds for a couple of bucks. If it breaks, (hasn’t happened yet) then spend another couple of bucks and keep the rest on the truck.

Tony

Re: Thresholds for laminate flooring - Posted by Kerry

Posted by Kerry on April 17, 2009 at 11:41:47:

Keith,
If there is carpet running up to the laminate there are two ways to transition w/o a threshhold or bar.You can pull the carpet back and install tackstrip 1/4 inch from lam.,stretch carpet to lam. and tuck.Remember to tap the pins down so no one steps on it barefoot.Or you can leave your pad back about one inch,stretch to the lam.then turn carpet under until the knap touches the lam. and fasten with an electric or air stapeler.The floor will still float,I have used both these methods many times.If you want a simple method just install flat bar over the transition,remember not to nail through lam.

Hope this helps,

Kerry

Re: Thresholds for laminate flooring - Posted by Keith (OH)

Posted by Keith (OH) on April 17, 2009 at 12:22:46:

Thanks Tony,

I am going from laminate to vinyl. So if I understand you right, you would undercut the laminate side of the 1 x 3, which would actually allow the laminate to float underneath , and the vinyl side you would just bevel the top side for a smoother transition ?

Keith