This hospital lien is... - Posted by Mindy in TX

Posted by Mindy in TX on September 20, 2002 at 14:50:42:

Thank you to all who took the time to post a reply, I will investigate further…
Mindy

This hospital lien is… - Posted by Mindy in TX

Posted by Mindy in TX on September 19, 2002 at 15:40:10:

I have a property that has a hospital lien attached to it that was filed in November of 1994. How can I negotiate to get this reduced or wiped out? I need suggestions on where to start…Please comment, thank you Mindy in TX

Re: This hospital lien is… - Posted by Bud Branstetter

Posted by Bud Branstetter on September 20, 2002 at 11:03:38:

A possibility is to control the property without purchasing it and NOT pay the lien off. If they have not pursued it then they probably won’t. Let it expire in 2004. If it not a judgement lien but a true hospital tax lien it will not expire. But, they would have likely taken some action by this time. If it is a true lien but not a judgement then after 4 years after the last payment made it becomes unenforceable in Texas.

Re: This hospital lien is… - Posted by SuperCat (IL, KY)

Posted by SuperCat (IL, KY) on September 20, 2002 at 09:14:33:

I do a lot of investing in Texas and if this is what I think it is then it is not a judgement lien, but a property tax lien. Texas has Hospital Taxing districts and they are just like property taxes and the odds of getting this amount reduced would be very slim if this is the case.

However, obviously I don’t know the facts here and suggest follow-up.

Re: This hospital lien is… (TX specific) - Posted by JT-IN

Posted by JT-IN on September 19, 2002 at 17:37:10:

Mindy:

Check your state law as to Certified Judgments… There is a time limit that, without recertification, the judgment may not be collectable. In Ohio it is 5 yrs… so check your state statute on this.

Since it is now 8 yrs old, and if not recertified, it may be uncollectable, but his varys by state law… so be sure and check, or maybe someone with the specifics of TX law will chime in here.

Re: This hospital lien is… - Posted by Verve

Posted by Verve on September 19, 2002 at 16:07:48:

Make a call and identify yourself as a judgment lien investor. Tell them you possess the knowledge and expertise at collecting old stale judgments such as theirs and was wondering if they’d be interested in selling their judgment for X? (X being 10 or 20 cents on the dollar)

If they balk, say, well, if you won’t accept X, what would you accept?

Good luck…

Verve

Re: This hospital lien is… (TX specific) - Posted by michael

Posted by michael on September 20, 2002 at 03:26:07:

In Texas, judgments are good for ten years before they have to be renewed. Try to buy it at a discount.

Re: This hospital lien is… - Posted by Mindy in TX

Posted by Mindy in TX on September 20, 2002 at 14:51:00:

Thank you to all who took the time to post a reply, I will investigate further…
Mindy