The Right Place At The Right Time.... - Posted by JPiper

Posted by phil fernandez on November 25, 1998 at 06:10:00:

Dirk,

Nice story. You’re on your way. See you in the chatroom and in Dallas.

The Right Place At The Right Time… - Posted by JPiper

Posted by JPiper on November 24, 1998 at 12:27:23:

I just finished reading the information about the upcoming convention contained under the banner above. While I think the information certainly provides ample details concerning the convention, I would like to take this opportunity to give you a more personal perspective regarding what I believe are important considerations in deciding whether to attend.

Just a little background. My wife and I attended last year?s convention in Las Vegas. I?ve been in the real estate business a long time. My wife has been in it for perhaps 4-5 years. Prior to last year I had only attended one seminar pertaining to real estate investment. I recall that seminar. It was a 2 ½ day affair, costing about $600. The gist of the seminar was that I should buy houses at 70% of market value (no kidding). Most of my seminars have been of the more painful variety called the ?school of hard knocks??.those seminars that cost considerable money and are fully participatory. Anyway, I approached last years convention wondering what it could possibly hold for me, but I was looking forward to meeting some of the people that I had only met online.

As the convention unfolded, I thought to myself what a wonderful opportunity for newbies. Where else could one go where a number of recognized experts share their ideas regarding a panorama of subjects?? I thought back to my own beginnings in this business, at a time when this type of opportunity did not exist. Many of the lessons learned at an event of this type were lessons that I learned the hard way, over years of transactions, with no help. Believe me, I would have willingly paid many times the price of this convention to have been able to short circuit some of the time and tuition of my own learning process.

While I believe this is truly a wonderful event for newbies, I was still wondering ?What?s in it for me??. Just so that you know, shortly after that I heard one single idea?.the idea set a bell off in my head. I kept thinking about that idea as the convention proceeded. When my wife and I got home, I immediately implemented the idea with a seller whose situation fit. That one idea resulted in a $5000 cashier?s check to us a matter of 3 weeks or so later. Then later in the year, I duplicated the same type of transaction for another $6000. So just from that one idea generated from the convention, we put $11,000 cash in our pocket. Now make no mistake, there were other ideas as well. Goes to show, even an ?old dog? can learn a few tricks.

But I saved for last what to me was the best part of the convention. Of course I was interested in meeting some of the people I had only met online, putting a face with a name so to speak. What I was unprepared for was the many fine friends that I made starting with the convention. It became clear to me that the internet has created a new community, a community of people with shared interests. That?s a big difference from the relationships we all have built on simple geography. Some of these friends I made will be lifelong friends because of what we share in common. I have been able to share my experiences with some of these people, knowing that they understand what I?m experiencing. These are the type of people who because of our commonality, are able to hold up that mirror for me to look in, so that my own understanding of myself can grow. Believe me, over the years I have learned that this is more important than ANY financial consideration.

The right place at the right time?? A thought that has been proven to me many times in my life is that there ARE NO ACCIDENTS. As you look back over your life you will find how perfectly all the events of your life fit into who you are, and why you?re here at this moment. The fact that you?re reading this now is no accident. We are all students and teachers for each other?..and the right place is a set of circumstances where that relationship can flower. The convention will definitely be one of those.

I hope to meet you at the convention.

JPiper

Re: The Right Place At The Right Time… - Posted by Ed Garcia

Posted by Ed Garcia on November 24, 1998 at 21:49:48:

Jim:
Your magic with words never stops.
I can?t tell you how much I agree with you, especially when it comes to
making new friends.

I also feel I made some life long friends there, you being one of them.
Many people consider you a sharp and intelligent man.
I see you as more than that, I think your a very wise man.

Your Friend
Ed Garcia

See you there … - Posted by Redline

Posted by Redline on November 24, 1998 at 15:52:45:

I can’t wait!

Re: The Right Place At The Right Time… - Posted by Duane Jordan

Posted by Duane Jordan on November 24, 1998 at 13:23:19:

Mr. Piper,
True words of inspiration. Especially for someone who’s just beginning to get their feet wet in Real Estate Investing. I own a small construction company specialing in remodeling. I’ve been in construction since I was old enough to pick up a hammer! My wife
is in the mortgage business, and works for a lender
based in San Diego. We live in North Carolina. People have always told me that Real Estate is where fortunes are made. Although our careers pay the bills and Santa Claus, we’re not getting rich at it! So, we decided to take a stand a little over a year ago! We’ve only done 2 deals, and they weren’t big money makers, but we did get our feet wet. Now we’ve decided to do a little more research, and ask alot of questions before we attempt another one! But words of enthusiasm from the “Old Dogs” in the business are priceless!
Hat’s Off To ya’!

Respectfully,
DJ
P.S. Please read my post, “Seeking Advice”! Got Any?

Re: The Right Place At The Right Time… - Posted by DanM(OR)

Posted by DanM(OR) on November 24, 1998 at 13:23:09:

Jim,

Thanks for your input over the months/years. I appreciate your involvement on this board. You have been a major contributor to my RE education and I greatly appreciate it.

I hope to make it and look forward to meeting you there .

Sincerely,

Dan

Re: The Right Place At The Right Time… - Posted by JPiper

Posted by JPiper on November 25, 1998 at 11:20:36:

Thanks for the very kind words Ed. As you well know, my wisdom depends entirely on the day!

Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Jim

Re: The Wise and the Wise - Posted by Dirk Roach

Posted by Dirk Roach on November 25, 1998 at 01:42:30:

JPiper and Ed I have found you both extreamly wise and helpfull to me on a number of things.
I WAS NOT at the convention last year. I was in Farmington Hills MI framming pictures while my girlfriend Jeanne (Whom most of you know from this site) went to Las Vegas to work at the convention for her Mom (JP) and her Step-Father (Terry). I was working for less than $10./hr, and although I was very good at my job, I really didn’t like it much. The main problem besides my crappy job was I really couldn’t envision a serious lasting relationship with Jeanne at the time. I had an art background (schoolwise) but as everyone knows Art really doesn’t pay much (unless you happen to be extreamly lucky). I couldn’t see realisticlly the prospect of settleing down, being able to support a family etc.
Jeanne came back from the convention PUMPED. She was ready to go take on the world. I didn’t understand at all. I doubted what she was saying. I closed both my eyes and ears to what she had learned. I quit my (framming) job and went to work in a resteraunt close to my house for a dollar more and hour. I worked in a 135 degree kitchen 5 days a week. After I paid my bills I useally had about $20.00 left over per week spending money. Times were bleak, but I really didn’t know that they didn’t have to be. I thought that the pay I was earning (hard work let me tell you, unloading trucks, sweating in that kitchen etc.) was about it.
Jeanne came over to my MH (I was living in a rental one) and said “Why don’t we try something different.” I wasn’t happy or unhappy. I just was.
So three weeks later I was in Southern CA. I met JP and Terry for the first time and was more than a little nervous. I knew that the cost of living was going to be higher, and I wasn’t quite sure how I was going to pull my wieght. I’m sure that no one knew I was worried over such matters. But I was talking to Terry and JP one night and Terry had mentioned that he had written a book, Paper into Gold. I read it and suddenly my mind started working. Back in Michigan Jeanne had given me Lonnie Scruggs Deals on Wheels to read, but I never had. But after my mind started working I read them, more like I absorbed them into my general way of thinking. My perception of everything changed. I started reading as much as I could. Now I’m addicted and read everything I can get my hands on.
I can see how I could provide a very nice comfortable living for a family. How I don’t have to break my back or work somewhere which I don’t like.
I just wish that I had listened to Jeanne Last year when she first told me she was going to Vegas. The better part of a year could have been put to much better use.
I have personally met two of the speakers JP and Terry have got lined up, ED Garcia and Lonnie Scruggs. I must say I was impressed. The insights and creative ways these people look at things and the way they anlylize a deal, and put spins on problems, is just mind-blowing.
The Players I have met in the Chat room and the ones in real life motivate the heck out of me, without even knowing it.
This site is really something special, and I know that a chance to meet and learn at the upcomming convention is really something that I will not pass up.
The people I have already met have given me a tottaly new perspective, I can only imagine what will happen with so more input.
Anyhow I would like to thank all the people I have met from this site. I have a great girl and now I have the confidence and tools to keep her. I look forward to thanking you in person, and meeting everyone else who will be there. What an opprotunity!
Thanks again,
Dirk Roach

Re: The Wise and the Wise - Posted by JPiper

Posted by JPiper on November 25, 1998 at 13:44:32:

I enjoyed your story Dirk. You’ve come a long way mentally.

Sometimes we just don’t know what we don’t know. A year ago you just weren’t ready, now you are. When the student is ready, the teacher appears. Just remember the lesson of your recent experience. It will repeat itself many times throughout your life.

I’m looking forward to meeting you.

Jim Piper

Re: The Wise and the Wise - Posted by Ed Garcia

Posted by Ed Garcia on November 25, 1998 at 09:55:43:

Dirk:

You hunger for knowledge is overwhelming.
Your a perfect example of the following statement.

It is not age that brings wisdom, but the willingness to learn.

Ed Garcia