tenant didn't pay elec. bill-need help w/power co. - Posted by BobnVa

Posted by RickR on July 05, 2001 at 11:56:50:

I had the same problem in VA, but the power company - dominion Power - dealt with the back bills and did not come after me for it. Not sure if they can legally to this or not.

tenant didn’t pay elec. bill-need help w/power co. - Posted by BobnVa

Posted by BobnVa on July 05, 2001 at 10:47:19:

Hello All,
This is a first for me. My tenant just left at end of lease and I went to have power turned back on and they said the tenant had not paid and they would not turn power on intil either the old tenant or I pay back bills.
Can they do this and is there away around it. I am in Virginia. Any help or suggestions to prevent this from happening in the future would be appreciated.

Thanks, Bob

Re: Virgina Electric Power - Posted by PW

Posted by PW on July 05, 2001 at 16:18:36:

Had similiar problem with Virgina Electric Power.
They sent me a $500 bill when I purchased property in Va. This obviously was a bill from the previous occupant of the property. I contacted the General Attorney’s Office to talk to the Commission that handles complaints regarding utility companies to clear up this matter.

Re: tenant didn’t pay elec. bill - Posted by Kim (FL)

Posted by Kim (FL) on July 05, 2001 at 12:12:04:

I’m not sure if I have a good suggestion or not. However, we just closed on a property that had an outstanding bill and the power company told me that they wouldn’t turn on the power. Which was insane since we were purchasing the property. I yelled at them, of course, and they made me provide them with a settlement statement proving that I bought the house. Here’s my idea – why don’t you offer to give the electric company a copy of the expired lease to show them who was responsible as well as a forwarding number of your tenant so they can collect the debt from them. I assume you have no security deposit that you could use to pay off this debt so you can move on! :slight_smile: Good Luck!