Tax Attorney/Accountant - Posted by Jack=E

Posted by Jimmy on January 05, 2010 at 07:49:22:

Sorry. The Big 3 or 4 refers to the big public accountng firms–not even sure what their names are now. last time I checked, it was Price Waterhouse Coopers. Ernst & Young. Deloitte Touche and KPMG.

These are the big boys. tax partners bill time at $400-500 an hour, depending on their expertise level. No matter what your business/compliance issues may be, these firms have the people who can service you. and they have legislative branches in washington monitoring all kinds of happenings there—stuff that will impact their client base.

and real estate expertise (and I mean a deep and exhaustive understanding of real estate) is available in almost every office.

What you want is to find someone who spend 7-8 years in the tax section of a Big 4 firm, and jumped ship. You get the expertise without the $500 an hour billing rate.

avoid the EA or non-credentialled person who prepares tax returns for $250 a pop. You want real estate expertise. there are people out there who devote most of their practice time to real estate clients. find one!!

Tax Attorney/Accountant - Posted by Jack=E

Posted by Jack=E on December 11, 2009 at 16:55:20:

I have been a realestate investor for several years in Florida. One of my biggest problems is and has been finding a income tax preparer who seems to know what he is doing and has the investor’s best interests to protect. I have tried several, but have always come back to doing it myself as I have to provide them everything anyway and they only do the minimum. I would like to find a really good investor friendly preparer. Do you have any suggestions? I, at one time, attended a conference by Dyches Boddiford, at which Robert Swaim gave a presentation on taxes. He seemed to know what he is doing. Does anyone know anything about him? I am getting to the point that my business and my health is getting to big or too bad to continue to handle it myself. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Tax Pros v. Schmos - Posted by Jimmy

Posted by Jimmy on January 01, 2010 at 08:50:31:

tax accountants and tax attorneys come in many varieties. I’m not sure what part of Florida you call home, but I can almost guarantee you this: within an hour of you there is an accountant with 15+ years experience, and who handles mostly real estate matters.

I spent a few years in the Big 8 (now Big 3 or 4), and we had 20+ accountants who did nothing but RE client work. Most of those guys and gals scattered and set up their own shops. FIND an ex-Big 4 CPA who specializes in RE.

Re: Tax Attorney/Accountant - Posted by John K Haslach, CPA

Posted by John K Haslach, CPA on December 14, 2009 at 13:03:37:

Email me and we can talk.

Re: Tax Attorney/Accountant - Posted by John K Haslach, CPA

Posted by John K Haslach, CPA on December 14, 2009 at 13:03:08:

Moi.

Re: Tax Pros v. Schmos - Posted by Jack-E

Posted by Jack-E on January 04, 2010 at 17:07:19:

Sorry I am not familiar with the Big eight, or three or four. What are you refering to?