Talking to RE lawyer today... - Posted by Shawn MM

Posted by Shawn MM on May 02, 2002 at 10:40:18:

that when you inform a RE lawyer that you want to acquire real estate “creatively” they have no clue what you’re talking about. I think I’ll just throw the book at him and say “here, whaddaya think?”…JK.
We’ll see what happens.

Talking to RE lawyer today… - Posted by Shawn MM

Posted by Shawn MM on May 02, 2002 at 10:17:29:

I wanted to get everyone’s opinion on what I should say to the RE lawyer I’m seeing today. I plan on showing him the Louis Brown course to see if it’s legal/kosher in my state. Should i explain what I intend to do, i.e. L/O’s, or would that “confuse” the man? I know going in that some RE lawyers will tell me it’s illegal or “can’t be done here”.
Any info is very much appreciated. Thank you.

SMM

Re: Talking to RE lawyer today… - Posted by Brent_IL

Posted by Brent_IL on May 02, 2002 at 13:19:12:

I think it’s counter-productive to give the lawyer the book and ask what he thinks. He may know the answer, but what you’re doing is asking for a legal opinion. He will say he needs time to review the materials. He will read the book. Then he will look up the citations. Then he will write you a letter. Guess who is being billed at the hourly rate for all the time spent on the project.

Your job is to clearly explain to your lawyer what you want to accomplish. His job is to find and document a legal way to do it.

If a RE attorney doesn’t know about L/O?s, he’s not a RE lawyer. Ask for a referral.

Re: Talking to RE lawyer today… - Posted by JohnBoy

Posted by JohnBoy on May 02, 2002 at 13:19:01:

Your concerns should not be on whether L/O’s are legal or not or what the attorney’s opinions are related to the course you have. L/O’s are legal in every state!

Your only concern should be whether your contracts conform with all the laws in your state or not. You only need to have him look over the contracts to see if he sees any problems with them or not and if he suggests any changes to them should be made or not.

As far as the course, that is only information on how to go about finding deals, negotiating deals, how L/O’s work in general, etc. Your attorney’s opinion of what he may think about the course is irrelevant!

The only relevance is whether the contracts are legal.

EVERYTHING in real estate is negotiable which means you can pretty much buy and sell anyway you and the seller agree to on the terms.

To have him reveiw the course will just be a waste of your money! You paid good money to get the information from that course and now you are going to give that information to your attorney for FREE and PAY HIM for the privelege of getting to obtain all that info for nothing on your dime!

Sheesh, if that’s what you want then just send me all your courses and I’ll rewiew them all for you at NO CHARGE!!! LOL

Re: Talking to RE lawyer today… - Posted by Kristine-CA

Posted by Kristine-CA on May 02, 2002 at 11:04:58:

SMM: In my opinion if you go to a RE lawyer and he doesn’t know the ins and outs of L/Os, then this guy is not your man. You can’t be educating a lawyer on his nickel. There are RE attorneys who know L/Os and who understand the contracts necessary. If this guy doesn’t get it right away, I would ask around in your area until you find one who is already up and running on your kind of investing.

Sincerely, Kristine

Re: Talking to RE lawyer today… - Posted by DB

Posted by DB on May 02, 2002 at 10:35:42:

Shawn,

I am just curious, but you said: “would that confuse the man”?
If he is a Real Estate lawyer, then I don’t think he should be confused!!

He should be the one that knows alot more than other attorneys!
Maybe, I am misunderstanding your post a little.

I do agree with Brown’s forms! They are good.

dave