Tacky vs Tactful - Posted by BR2

Posted by Tim Jensen on March 30, 2000 at 06:54:28:

Mark,

You put the flyer on their windsheild right next to the funeral sign. That way it gets read.

:slight_smile:

Tacky vs Tactful - Posted by BR2

Posted by BR2 on March 29, 2000 at 15:40:56:

How do you tactfully approach a family about acquiring rental property of a deceased family member? Also, how long should I wait before contacting them? Family members live out-of-town but will probably be around for a few more days.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Tacky vs Tactful - Posted by Jim-WI

Posted by Jim-WI on March 30, 2000 at 07:22:08:

Someone once told me that you could send out letters stating that you buy homes but do not tailor it to the fact that you know they had a recent death in the family. Make it look like it is a generic mailing that you’d do throughout the neighborhood. This way when they call you they don’t think you are preying on them.

To be honest, I’ve never tried it but it does pose some possibilities…???

Re: Tacky vs Tactful - Posted by Darin

Posted by Darin on March 29, 2000 at 21:27:39:

From my experience, I always discover that even though there is an emotional loss, most of the time I discover the family realizes business has to go on.

It is all in your approach. It does feel odd sometimes, but what I have learned to do is FOCUS ON THE ISSUES THAT THEY NEED YOU FOR and do your business.

I always tactifully ask a simple question " Have you folks had a chance to discuss how you are handleing the real estate, if so, I would like to have the opportunity to sit with you folks and discuss some options for you"

Find out who is handleing the estate and follow up.

Re: Tacky vs Tactful - Posted by Mark-NC

Posted by Mark-NC on March 29, 2000 at 17:11:51:

Thats a good one. I wonder if it would be to aggressive and insensative to leave we buy homes flyers in the funeral parlors?

Mark

Re: Tacky vs Tactful - Posted by David Alexander

Posted by David Alexander on March 29, 2000 at 16:10:05:

I dont the answer on the tact part of your question. but I don know the last time I called on a deal with that situation I said I would look and to call me back, well a few weeks went by no return phone call. So a week later I called and found out theuy sold the thing two days after I talked to them.

David Alexander