Sign time - Posted by Mike (Seattle WA)

Posted by Barry (FL) on August 09, 2005 at 21:34:48:

It works for me! I’m not talking bandit signs here, I’m talking a sign for an individual property.
There’s one in front of the property with a web address for more info, as well as an FSBO sign with an 800 number and an extension for that specific property as well as flyers in a tube on the sign.

The hand written signs are directionals pointing people to the property from main roads. It does create alot more traffic.
Signs will read:
FOR SALE
3bed/2bath
123 any street
--------------->
and, I put it on both sides! Talk about a tight arse, and no the arrows don’t point in opposite directions. :wink:
Sorry Dave, I just can’t 'ford dem spensive signs like yoo!

How many did you order? ;-}

Sign time - Posted by Mike (Seattle WA)

Posted by Mike (Seattle WA) on August 09, 2005 at 18:01:19:

I went to Kinkos and bought exactly 3 signs for far too much money (the price you pay to build business credit) the other day to advertise a Rent-to-Own place I’ve had come available. Now, I’m looking to purchase some more signs for more reasonable prices.

Here’s a few questions:

1. Is corrogated plastic the sign of choice or should I do something else cheaper?
  2. For highways, should I opt for larger than 18x24 (say 24x36 or larger) or will the 18x24s be visible enough?
  3. 1 color Dark with white letters or white with dark letters or multi-color? Again, this is a price issue, I’m just looking for opinion on adding a 2nd color to a sign.
  4. The little H Bar posts - I’ve seen them for 1.40 each which seems a touch expensive. Anyone have a different suggestion?

Thansk for you input. Gonna go plaster Sultan with some signage here for a few days :slight_smile:

Re: Sign time - Posted by Mike (Seattle WA)

Posted by Mike (Seattle WA) on August 11, 2005 at 18:13:59:

Ok, Kinko’s is not the place to buy a sign. $85 after I yelled about them being 2 days late and getting a discount for only 3, 1 color, single sided signs is not even worth it for business credit. I told them 2 sided, but the lady give sme a blank look and says “I don’t think we can do that.” Grrr.

Ok, business credit bought. Went to victorystore.com and used their nice design tool to make some much nicer, cheaper signs. $300 dollars for 100 18x24 signs, 100 H-bars (.60 each - sweet), and $63 of abuse from UPS to get it to me. If they had offered Fedex, my Net30 would have been nice. Oh well.

Beware Sno/King Washington, My next bandit sign campaign begins in 2 weeks. Ph34r my blue ink signs!

P.S. I hope that guy who defaces signs for a living isn’t aound here :slight_smile:

CHEAP HAND RITEN SINES…LOL - Posted by Jon

Posted by Jon on August 10, 2005 at 15:31:48:

Here is what you do. Take the blank piece of Chloroplast write the message. Take a picture of the sign with a digital picture and send it to your sign person. They will mass produce it for you. I am sure that David Alexander can even do this at Banditsigns DOT com. The beauty is that if you leave space for you to write certian messages such as price in the blank it looks like it was hand produced.

Just a few thoughts.

Re: Sign time - Posted by Kristine-CA

Posted by Kristine-CA on August 10, 2005 at 01:17:23:

True story: I never used a sign until last month. I’ve probably sold
about two dozen deals and I’ve either had a buyers list or used
classifieds.

I had a vacant lot for sale and a property that was almost ready for
rent. It was Sunday afternoon.

I went to Home Depot and stood there looking at the signs
and the sizes–I had no idea what would work. It was no help that my
man and my daughter were making fun of me, saying that no one is
going to drive under the highway and down the dead end street
where the vacant lot was. And that the rental wasn’t in a neighborhood
where anyone was going to drive by who didn’t already live there.

I bought the $15 version with a strong metal frame–18" x 24".
Bought a sharpie. Put the signs out (FSBO with my number and For
Rent with property mgr’s number) and started the long drive home
(150 miles). 6 calls for the vacant lot before we get home. The
property mgr calls when we get home and needs more info (like the
rent amount!)–he has four calls and four appointments. Phone rings
all day Monday. Vacant lot in escrow by Tuesday. Collected first
months rent and a cash deposit on Thursday. I begged the buyer of
the vacant lot to please remove the sign for me because I couldn’t
stand the calls anymore.

Of course, it’s the market where I am. But it also turns out that’s how
it’s done in that town and I’d been missing the action all along. I love
signs.

One of the best $15 purchases ever. And they were just the generic
red/white ones. I’m not into bandit signs, but never say never…
Kristine

Re: Sign time - Posted by Barry (FL)

Posted by Barry (FL) on August 09, 2005 at 18:49:54:

I put directional/info signs on all my for sale properties usually at least 5 per property. I just bought 100 24x18 yellow corrogated and 100 h stakes. Cost including shipping was less than $155.
I use a Black permanent marker, the biggest I can find, marks a lot and hand write the signs. This has been very effective for us. Buyers don’t seem to like people that are too slick IMHO.

Marketers have studied these colors and black on yellow is the highest contrast there is and draws the eye to it.

I purchased the blanks and h stakes from:

they were delivered within 3 days.

Hope This Helps
Barry (FL)

Re: Sign time - Posted by Sailor

Posted by Sailor on August 09, 2005 at 18:24:34:

White lettering on dark (I like brown) is more visible, especially @ a distance. If you are going to buy signs, think about adding some attention-getting flags.

Tye

Free FSBO listing on the web. - Posted by windycityroundtable

Posted by windycityroundtable on August 10, 2005 at 15:45:55:

You know, if you buy a sign at Home Depot in Naperville on the corner of 75th Street and Route 59–you get a free property listing on one of those “by-owner” sites. Can’t think of which one off the top of my head-- but there’s a heads up for you. They are probably doing this in other locations, too.

Re: Sign time - Posted by Mike (Seattle WA)

Posted by Mike (Seattle WA) on August 10, 2005 at 12:32:23:

Lol. I put out exactly 2 for rent signs on my last house and had the phone ringing off the hook. As this is a Rent to Own deal, I can’t buy them at the local stores :slight_smile:

Thanks all for the advice. I’ll check that link you gave me as well and we’ll let the phone start ringing.

Too slick? - Posted by DaveD (WI)

Posted by DaveD (WI) on August 09, 2005 at 21:06:37:

OMG Barry.

Bandit signs are too slick? Anyone who knows you can figure out you ain’t too slick to begin with! Hand written signs? Sheesh! Cheeeeeapskate! Spend another fiddy cents per sign and have it look good. Big fat markers? Are you stealing them from first graders, or what? LOL :wink:

Handwritten works better for me - Posted by Jeff

Posted by Jeff on August 10, 2005 at 10:32:08:

I’ve spent big bucks on professionally designed signs, and I’ve used blank signs with big ole fat black marker, and found that the handwritten signs work better and are cheaper.