Showing property with lockboxes... - Posted by Tim (OH)

Posted by Irwin on December 29, 1998 at 21:51:47:

I guess we’ve been lucky. We use lockboxes with no problem. My partner who tends to buy a lot of real downers, just leaves a door unlocked and tells people to go through and call him if interested. Can you believe that? We’ve rarely had a problem with either method. I always have the neighbors keeping an eye on things. Plus, before I send someone throught the house, I’ve taken their personal info. so they know that I know who they are.
We have so many properties vacant at any given time (unfortunately) it would be impossible to go show them to everyone who calls. If we did, that’s all we’d be doing.
There just doesn’t seem to be any perfect answer to this problem.

Showing property with lockboxes… - Posted by Tim (OH)

Posted by Tim (OH) on December 29, 1998 at 12:08:38:

I apprectiate the responses concerning showing prospective purchasers/tenants a property with a lock box.

Does anyone else have any input concerning this manner of showing property? Bad…Good…Indiferent?

Thanks,
Tim

Re: Showing property with lockboxes… - Posted by Darin

Posted by Darin on December 29, 1998 at 14:51:58:

Last property I did was vacant and very dirty thinking it would be ok to let people go thru because I was so far awaay to show. after letting about 10-15 people thru, the house was stripped. Lesson againn learned the hard way. Not so much was I delighted to give up all the fixtures and any thing sitting loose in the house, all doors were left wide open for the animals to keep warm for shelter. Not saying I dont want a warm place for the ainimals, but most are not potty trained.

Re: Showing property with lockboxes… - Posted by Sandy FL

Posted by Sandy FL on December 29, 1998 at 13:21:26:

I keep lockboxes on my rehabs for the purpose of the workers/handymen getting in and out without having to meet everyone. I would not give the code out to prospective tenants/purchasers for 2 reasons:

1. obviously, security. I like my appliances, water heater and ceiling fans just where I left them. You just never know about people, and I mean that.

2. lockboxes don’t sell houses, people do. At least that is what my good buddy Ed Garcia tells me, and he is right. Whether it is you, or someone you have appointed, you can instill a feeling of confidence and handle alot of questions at the same time for your buyers or tenants.

My 2 cents-

Sandy :slight_smile: