Should I try another state - Posted by Kim

Posted by Chuck on March 24, 2002 at 20:48:40:

If you have a mental block of doing it where you are go somewhere else. Do whatever it takes to get started and build some confidence.
If you believe that you can do it somewhere else that is half the struggle (having the belief) but do it there until you succeed.
Maybe it doesn’t even have to be a different state just maybe another town in your state.
Then it will be easier to do it where you live now or anywhere else for that matter.

Should I try another state - Posted by Kim

Posted by Kim on March 14, 2002 at 15:58:00:

I haven’t been able to put my full attention on this for awhile, but I haven’t given up yet. We’ve had some really tough family problems and some illnesses going on and I needed to put them first. After all this is one of the reasons I wanted to try RI, in the first place. I want to be there for and do for my family. OK and we’re completely broke now and we want to get back on track and pay everything off as soon as possible.
OK, this is what I’ve done so far.
Business Cards: Passed them out to anyone that would take them. Calls back: 0
Flyers: How many? So many I don’t remember, just kept printing them out and distributing them everywhere. Calls back:0
Signs and Posters: Over a hundred. Calls back:0
LOL!!!
I’m not doing so good here.
Just met my birthfather this past July, he lives in Oklahoma. Would it be a good idea to try doing some of this there? Seems like since I have even more family back there it just might be a way to find some help. If we do try this I was thinking that someone there could look over the properties and let me know which ones are the type I am looking for. Also thought maybe if I have to go there to take can of any business I could use it as a tax write off and also be able to get to know my family better in the process. Is Oklahoma a place that I can actually make a profit and if so, which parts of the state?

Should I just keep up the cards and other things and hope for the best. Who knows, could happen. Right? Just know I am not giving up, I know we’re going to do this, but not without the help of people on this board. I’m on a mission to write a success story!!LOL. I wanna be somebody.

Re: Should I try another state - Posted by DMH

Posted by DMH on March 21, 2002 at 13:50:53:

I’m in San Diego and have bought and sold property here for over 8 years. All purchase with little or very minmal down. Stop blaming where you live on not being able to invest. It can be done ANYWHERE. Southern California market works, and receives a healthy 30% growth (2000-2001 Golden Hills-San Diego) And you can still get owners to sell. Thing outside the box. Owers will carry 5-15%, explain to them the tax benefits, monthly cash flow, etc… Lease Option properties can be done (I have 2 from l/o) Have the realtor 9and mortgage) brokers to cut commissions 1-2%, delay down-payments. Ask a group of your family or friends who want a healthy return to pitch in a few thousand for the ‘down’ and form a LLC. Stop using location as a way to demotivate yourself and fail before you even attempt to succeed. If you want it bad enough, go get it!

Re: Should I try another state - Posted by Carey_PA

Posted by Carey_PA on March 16, 2002 at 06:30:15:

Kim,

Larry had some good advice for you. But just putting out over a hundred signs and posters isn’t going to cut it. You have to keep your name in people’s faces…constantly.

Keep handing out your biz cards, leave 'em everywhere u go, mickey d’s, the bank, restrooms, etc.

Are you placing your bandit signs in visible intersections? Are you placing them right off of exit ramps of your major roads in your town?

Keep putting out your flyers…in grocery stores, laundry mats, local mom and pop stores that will let you (also ask them if you can leave a stack of biz cards there)

Try to put a small we buy houses ad in your local thrifty nickel or penny saver newspaper.

send postcards to out of state owners every month for 6-8 months! send postcards to tired landlords every month for 6-8 months!

If you keep up the marketing the calls WILL come.

Kim, seriously, you don’t have to move to another state to make this work, you just have to keep marketing and keep at it. Get those sellers to call YOU!

CRE will work EVERYWHERE! You know it’s true that if you think you can, you’re right and if you think you can’t you’re right! So, what do YOU think?

CAREY

Re: Should I try another state - Posted by Larry in CA

Posted by Larry in CA on March 15, 2002 at 20:25:14:

Kim, I think you may be putting the cart before the horse here if you are getting no calls from all this effort. Did you narrow down your cre goals to one or to programs?? Such as wholesale flips or buy subject to and sell L/O. Did you buy a good course from somebody sucessful at doing the program??? Or, read everything on this website about that program??? Did you think about WHO you are trying to get to call you and focus your efforts in their direction??? It will work in RI or OK if you know exactly what you want to do and find out from the experts how to do it. Try using bandit signs in or near neighborhoods with alot of houses for sale. Send your flyers or a post card to all expired listings of 3br 2ba homes. Place an I buy houses ad in the local newspaper by the MONTH. I hope to see and learn from your posted sucess story soon.

Re: Should I try another state - Posted by Kim

Posted by Kim on March 16, 2002 at 13:04:04:

Wasn’t so much wanting to move to Oklahoma, as just wanting to invest there. I resently found my birthfather there and have so much family in the state that I would have people there to help me with finding or rehabbing. Have an aunt there that has been doing that for years.
I’ve got listings from Realtops there and my stepmother sends me ads all the time. The prices there are within my price range and thought they might be easier to flip or do L/O’s on them. Just an idea.
My signs are up all over. I will get the calls. I can feel it. Making up some more business cards, should be ready tomorrow, and then back to that.
Guess what I was asking is, would doing this here and Oklahoma be a good idea? Would like to try there later anyway. What do you think?