Septic tanks and wells - Posted by Don Hydinger

Posted by Don Hydinger on December 20, 2000 at 24:58:12:

Dear David and Mike,

Thanks for the info. on septic tanks.

Don

Septic tanks and wells - Posted by Don Hydinger

Posted by Don Hydinger on December 19, 2000 at 11:37:29:

I need some help on Septic systems. I have a moblile home park with septic tanks and wells instead of leach lines.

Does anyone know of a good product that will break up the solids in the tanks and keep the dispersal wells clean? I just ordered “Septic helper” from Krane Products in New York. Has anyone used this product and were you happy with the results? Thanks for your help.

Don.

Re: Septic tanks and wells - Posted by mike-tx

Posted by mike-tx on December 19, 2000 at 21:25:54:

David is correct, yeasts and other so called “septic activators” don’t work. A conventional septic system works primarily through the action of anaerobic bacteria and the filtering action of the soil. Once solids or “biomat” has clogged the soil the waste water will not be absorbed. If you are having problems you should take the following steps:

1. Have all the drain lines snaked out.
  2. Have the tanks pumped.
  3. Check for leaks and fix them.
  4. Install water saving fixtures.
  5. Remove the washer drain from the septic system.

If the steps above do not solve the problem the disposal field (or well/cesspool) is clogged. The only way to unclog a drainfield is to rest it. That means NO water into the drainfield until the drainfield completely dries out and the aerobic bacteria can break down the slime or “biomat” that is clogging the pores of the soil. This takes months or even years of NO use at all. The only other solution is to replace the drainfield. If you replace the field you should ensure that you have a minimum of 2 septic tanks for each home. This will help prevent solids from reaching the drainfield in the future. BTW I am a health inspector in Texas and inspect septic systems daily. The type of systems you are describing (cesspools/wells/pits) are illegal in Texas because they contaminate the groundwater. I urge you to update your septic system to a more modern and effective system that will not pollute the water your neighbors drink.

Re: Septic tanks and wells - Posted by David Krulac

Posted by David Krulac on December 19, 2000 at 18:27:23:

the additives from yeast on down really don’t work. septics should be pumped routinely like every 3 or 5 years. Higher usage or community systems may require more frequent pumping. Multiple tanks and gas deflectors help to reduce solids from the getting into the drain field.