Satined Brick Pavers on Porch - Posted by Sandy FL

Posted by Bud Branstetter on October 14, 1998 at 11:23:57:

Maybe we need to start up a MLM concern to sell the chicken skins. Or has that already been done by Metaluca.

Satined Brick Pavers on Porch - Posted by Sandy FL

Posted by Sandy FL on October 13, 1998 at 23:12:39:

I have some terracotta brick tile pavers (think thats
the right term) on the porch … have some paint stains
on them and various older stains that do not respond to
pressure cleaning nor turpentine. Would an acid wash work
to clean these up? Anyone have any products they have tried?

Sandy FL

(please no chicken skin, LOL)

Re: Satined Brick Pavers on Porch - Posted by JWM

Posted by JWM on October 15, 1998 at 01:11:47:

Muretic acid will work on Portland based cement systems. Just cann’t remember if it is a weak blend of HydroCholoric or Sulpheric Acid. However, neither one of those those two acid’s is biodegradable. Ie also classified as hazardous waste. misspelled that didn’t I. There are concrete cleaners on the market that contain Citric Acid, which is biodegradable. Though it may take a little longer too work. When useing a acidic cleaner or high base cleaner, always test a small patch, in a out of sight area. It may lighten the color of the brick. Some cleaners also contain a mild abrasive. If the stains contain a oil base, white kerosine may be used.

Re: Satined Brick Pavers on Porch - Posted by John Bulik

Posted by John Bulik on October 14, 1998 at 22:53:33:

Sandy,

Whether they are saltillo tiles or brick pavers they are both porous materials and some stains set in deep. The paint should come off, possibly with a stripper. I have had some stains that wouldn’t come out for anything. At that point I resorted to coloraing the brick. I can’t remember the exact product I used, but essentially it was a dye for the brick that disguised the stains. If all else fails you might want to consider that.

John Bulik

Re: Satined Brick Pavers on Porch - Posted by Gator Shelton

Posted by Gator Shelton on October 14, 1998 at 08:55:01:

There are 2 types of acid or acid based cleaners that are used to remove stains from driveways. One is muratic which also removes drain clogs and for the life of me I can not remember the other. Seems like as you get older the first things to go are the memory and the kidneys. I believe muratic acid is used usually on oil based stains. I would give it a try and look around at Lowes and read ingredients on bottles. Of course if you try muratic acid, try it in a small hidden area first. Also I don’t think you should write off this chicken skin idea so quickly, I feel that it may become the miracle stain remover of the next milenium.

Best wishes and good luck from your friend,

Gator Shelton

Re: Satined Brick Pavers on Porch - Posted by Jennifer(NH)

Posted by Jennifer(NH) on October 14, 1998 at 08:06:55:

I’m hoping someone has a more brilliant idea than this but the only thing I could come up with was maybe lightly sanding the terracota. Also, You could also just paint them the color of the terracotta… that might be easier.

Good Luck

Jennifer

Re: Satined Brick Pavers on Porch - Posted by Karen McCall

Posted by Karen McCall on October 14, 1998 at 14:19:57:

The other acid is Sulfuric, but there are some citrus based cleaners that are less abrasive and might do the trick, look in the cleaning department at Lowes, or Walmart under rust removers.