Responses on 'sweet deal' post - Posted by Michaela-ATL

Re: Mixed Review - Posted by Brent_IL

Posted by Brent_IL on October 05, 2003 at 14:52:03:

I agree totally with the logic of Michaela?s decision. It is her choice. She has shared much on this board. She?s posted things that worked well, and things that didn?t work out as well as expected. I know that I?ve learned from her. Michaela posts often and probably has reveled all of her techniques at one time or another.

I guess all creative real estate techniques are portable, but I definitely agree that some should not be shared with all people. The ability to use certain techniques requires above average real estate knowledge to be effective. To work well, some techniques require that the CRE practitioner exercise restraint and let some chips on the table. One of the first items that new creative real estate investors learn about is ?weasel? clauses. Not a whole lot of attention is paid to our effect on the lives of the sellers that are being messed up by us.

Almost two years ago, I had to post similar sentiments when requests for a copy of the purchase contract that I use reached about a hundred a week. I don?t share everything I do for reasons that make sense to me, and I think that Michaela has made the right choice.

I am an advocate of education… - Posted by Houserookie

Posted by Houserookie on October 05, 2003 at 11:58:01:

in any business. An incomplete education is like reading quotes or watch bits and pieces off the evening news and expecting to understand the whole story.

The give me mentality is all over this board but it’s not just for the newbies. I’ve had so called “regulars” on this board emailed to ask for specifics on topics from months ago and frankly I delete them. I’ll give you 99% of my cashcow but I’m not going to show you how to milk it.

You’re right in that we are all brothers and like my other brothers they work hard and smart for the fruits of their labor.

They know better than to buy me a $3 drink for tips to making $200,000 a year.

Cheerz,

Re: Don’t let it bother you - Posted by michaela-ATL

Posted by michaela-ATL on October 05, 2003 at 08:24:28:

Tom,
nah, I’m not letting him discourage me ;-). I just meant in general, if sharing starts becoming a chore, because some people expect it, then that’s the time when the knowledgable people will leave.

Michaela

Re: Responses on ‘sweet deal’ post - Posted by Bryan-SactoCA

Posted by Bryan-SactoCA on October 05, 2003 at 23:12:37:

It’s stuff like this that has given me pause. If you’re looking to buy houses at 65% of ARV and flip, how do you compete with idiots who think they can buy at 100% of FMV, spend 20k on a rehab, and make huge profits? On the other hand, it sounds like an unexplored niche-buy from the stupid at far below ARV and let them eat the loss. It’s not really explotive-somebody who gets in over their head after attending a seminar is the ultimate motivated seller. Now I have to figure out how to locate them…

Hey, Church lady - Posted by michaela-ATL

Posted by michaela-ATL on October 05, 2003 at 07:11:37:

well, isn’t that special? :wink:

Sure other people will learn, but most will find, that it’s way too labor intensive and difficult. It’s a whole lot easier to go after pre-forclosures and abandoned houses. I just like things that are different. I travel off the beaten path, when I travel and I like things, that not everybody does. I enjoy the chase of finding the owners/heirs.

As to sharing. You’re just like so many newbies, where someone gives you a finger and you demand the whole hand as if that’s your birthright. A few years ago there weren’t all these courses and books and websites and a lot of us learned throught he ‘school of hard knocks’. You should be happy that there are sites like this, instead of taking them for granted.

Most people, that are fulltime investors, will hold something back. It’s not to be mean or selfish or whatever. Do you think Joe Kaiser gives out 100% of his knowledge in his courses?

This board allows us to share what we want to share. It’s people like you, that are greedy and demand and expect things, that will push knowledgable people away. It’s fun to share some of the things we’ve learned, but it stops being fun, if it’s taken for granted instead of the gift, that it’s meant to be.

I don’t know everything. I’ve only been doing major rehab and the lots and I’ve learned a ton of stuff on this site and I’ve shared plenty.

So, if you want this site to stay number one, then you better start appreciating what you’re getting instead of looking into the horses mouth.

Michaela

well, son… - Posted by js-Indianapolis

Posted by js-Indianapolis on October 05, 2003 at 24:51:29:

I think ignorant posts complaining (like yours) are what drags this site down. Let me ask you this?If you were sitting at the convention with Michaela in Atlanta, would you act like such? Really, would you be going off to the extreme, calling her Micheala Jackson, waving the finger at her, etc? No, you wouldn’t. You’re either doing it here because you can hide behind anonymity, or you’ve just had one too many on a Saturday night. For Christ’s sake man, you act like she just kicked your dog. Get over it.

Now, if I were face to face with you, I’d probably tell you that you resemble the east side of a horse headed west. However, I don’t think I can say that here so I won’t.

Re: When you have nothing to share, complain. - Posted by Jim V

Posted by Jim V on October 04, 2003 at 23:21:45:

TWF,

I believe Michaela stated she did share a lot, if not everything, she knew. What makes you believe that she should share something that puts food on her table?

The learning process is often long, sometimes hard, and when you’ve gotten through some significant part of it, perhaps you, or another person, would like to reap the rewards.

What makes you feel you should reap the benefit of another person’s labor?

Because you have an internet connection?

It’s fairly easy to be demanding when you have nothing to give, it’s much more difficult to freely give what provides for you.

That’s just my take, but in general, I’m a fairly unapologetic SOB. Take it however you want.

Re: Responses on ‘sweet deal’ post - Posted by michaela-ATL

Posted by michaela-ATL on October 05, 2003 at 06:51:56:

Ann,
so I’m being ‘stupid’ because I’m not interested in jumping on the bandwagon of ‘gurudom’? Some of you, that have been reading my posts may have noticed, that I’m just not that into money. I was able to leave the corporate world and support myself with something, that I love doing: renovating/designing. I only work when I need money. I’m just not interested in doing something I would hate just for money.

Money is a ‘middleman’. Don’t most people strive for money, because they think money will allow them to buy something, that will bring them happiness?

The way I see it I’m already happy with what I do, so I really don’t care to get myself all stressed out with making money, money, money.

Yes, other people will figure out how to do the lots etc, but most of them will find them to be to labor intensive. The ‘sweet deal’ I wrote about - I started looking for the guy a year ago. He’s with the government and is constantly moving. I’ve had addresses all over the U.S. How many people do you think would deal with that? Not a whole lot or these lots would have been sold a long time ago.

It’s less work going after pre-foreclosures or finding abandoned houses. The owners of the lots I deal with are usually dead and I have to find the heirs and deal with probate.

Whoever wants to do it - fine, but I have no interest in coming out with some e-book.

Michaela

Re: Responses on ‘sweet deal’ post - Posted by js-Indianapolis

Posted by js-Indianapolis on October 05, 2003 at 24:38:05:

You ever think that there are investors who are just happy being investors? E commerce is a totally different business. I know I’m not one to get excited about hocking wares online. If I was, I’d be buying $2 trinkets and selling them for $10 on Ebay. God knows they are easier to find than houses at 50%. Sure, I could make money with those trinkets. Right up until the day I couldn’t take it anymore.

Now, I’m sure you’re going to come back with “Ya, but…words, words, words, and THINK OF WHAT YOU COULD MAKE!!” To that, let me preemptively respond.

Ya buts are for Easter.

Real Estate Schmeal Estate - Posted by Hank FL

Posted by Hank FL on October 05, 2003 at 12:27:29:

I’ve figured out what you doing with the lots and my hat’s off to you, but what I really want to know is what you look like.

If you could mix together a couple of celebrities that would best describe your appearance, who would they be ?

Don King,Roseanne and Cindi Lauper - Posted by Michaela-ATL

Posted by Michaela-ATL on October 05, 2003 at 12:43:21:

Did you miss the post where I described myself? I’m 4’3", 460lbs, purple mohawk (dyed green or pink for special occasions) coke-bottle-lens glasses, freckles all over and too many piercings and tatoos to mention.
Yep, I can turn some heads :wink:

Michaela