Renting out lots to motorhome owners? - Posted by Greg

Posted by tom kirby on October 23, 2003 at 16:18:09:

Just left, her mother is 75. why give her the hassel.Yes I ment to write motor home.

Renting out lots to motorhome owners? - Posted by Greg

Posted by Greg on October 23, 2003 at 15:42:06:

As others have pointed out, what brings you a good long-term income is “the dirt”.

Reading here a month or so ago, it was proposed that people in dire straits could buy a used motor home and live in it while saving up cash.

I live just outside of Philadelphia. There are lots here which, due to zoning regulations, are too small to build on. These can be had from the county for $200. I spoke to the zoning officer and he said that no one can stop you from improving the lot, such as adding utilities and paving a strip to park on.

It seems to me that, so long as the motorhome remains registered, it’s simply a parked vehicle and zoning wouldn’t be applicable.

If the economy continues to deteriorate, might there be demand for lots with motor home hookups? Does this sound like a worthwhile idea?

Re: Renting out lots to motorhome owners? - Posted by Tony-VA/NC

Posted by Tony-VA/NC on October 23, 2003 at 17:19:09:

Zoning is only one red tape hinderance to this type of scenario. I am not saying you shouldn’t look into it, just don’t stop there.

Zoning may not forbid the use of the land for motor homes, but the CC&R’s for the neighborhood might. Deed restrictions etc. may prohibit it so they must be checked.

Then comes the utilities. The size of these lots may not accomodate utility restrictions. Although electric is not usually an issue it can be. More than likely you will find yourself faced with an unusable lot due to water and septic. Now if you have city water and sewer available, you may be onto something. If you have to go with septic, you may be stuck. Small lots can be a challenge to get septic approval. Just keep it in mind.

Weigh all of the development costs against the market for year round motor home living. Typically this is a transient affair that surrounds a tourist attraction, camp ground etc. Many are set up as year round housing but if yours has none of the above to draw long term rentals, it may not proove worthwhile but I leave this decision to your investigation.

Best Wishes,

Tony

Re: Renting out lots to motorhome owners? - Posted by tom kirby

Posted by tom kirby on October 23, 2003 at 15:59:12:

I lived in a motor home on Long Island 3 yrs ago. It was in my girlfriends(now wife)moms driveway, I was there for a year until her mom got a letter from the town stating that noone can live in a mobile home on the property. It was registered and insured.

Registration and insurance allows you to… - Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA NV

Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA NV on October 23, 2003 at 19:18:57:

…drive it on the street, not park it in the driveway of a house zoned for single family use. Communities have a right to pass zoning and use laws. How would you like it if someone built a noisy, traffic congesting, night club right next door to your house, or a barking dog kennel, or an adult book-look store, etc. Zoning and use laws are for everyone’s benefit. How would you like for ME to live next door with no zoning laws. I’d rent out 12 RV spaces on the front lawn and 20 more in back? Think I am kidding don’t you?

:~0

There probably isn’t anything to fight about, because its against the law. Most communities have regulations prohibiting this kind of use of a motor home. Be glad you got a free ride for a year. Hope you saved your money.

Most Walmart stores will allow you to park for a few days, in their parking lots, free, BUT why would you even want to do that when you can buy a used membership in a big RV resort with recripical rights to stay in other RV resorts. It only costs about $350 in my area for a used RV resort membership and about $365/yr. or about $1 per day for annual dues, and it includes all utilities. You can’t beat a $30/mo. utility cost even by staying in the driveway.

You may have to move back and forth between two or more parks because most have a two week limit. You can generally leave for two weeks and then come back for two more etc.

Where else can you get rent and utilities for $30/mo?

Any more complaints?

Regards, doc

Re: Renting out lots to motorhome owners? - Posted by Greg

Posted by Greg on October 23, 2003 at 16:14:29:

“I was there for a year until her mom got a letter from the town stating that noone can live in a mobile home on the property.”

I assume you meant to say “motor home”. Did you try to contest it or just leave?
Also, on a small lot which has no other use, I think they’d have a hard time saying that you can’t do that…that’s the lot’s “highest and best use”. Probably have to go to court over it, though.