removing a cast iron tub - Posted by John P. (CO)

Posted by John P. (CO) on July 16, 2001 at 10:22:24:

Muchas gracias, gentlemen.

removing a cast iron tub - Posted by John P. (CO)

Posted by John P. (CO) on July 16, 2001 at 24:31:34:

Working on my first rehab (fix and flip) and have run into a problem. The old cast iron bath tub is in terrible shape and I want to replace it but it won’t come out. It was sunk an inch & 1/2 below the rest of the floor, jammed in between the studs and and the walls were lathed and plastered around it. I havn’t been able to remove it even after removing most of the lathes above both sides. I can get one end up about 10 inches and it jams.
I always thought cast iron was brittle but blows with a sledge have only managed to break off more porcelain. A sawzall with demolition and rescue blade failed to cut it.
Anyone know how I can replace the tub without tearing out the outside wall? Also, can I anticipate the same difficulty when installing a new steel tub?
Thanks for any help.

Re: removing a cast iron tub - Posted by Mark - IL

Posted by Mark - IL on July 16, 2001 at 01:00:35:

Had the same problem a while ago. Used a big Sledge hammer and got my aggresstion out of it. You may need to drip some holes into the tub to make it break easier. Hope this helps.

Mark - IL

Re: Bigger hammer - Posted by John P. (CO)

Posted by John P. (CO) on July 16, 2001 at 01:08:22:

Thanks, Mark. Will I need a special bit to drill through it?
John

Re: Bigger hammer - Posted by Mark-NC

Posted by Mark-NC on July 16, 2001 at 07:01:18:

John,
You really won’t need to drill it just get a good size sledge hammer and start hitting it in one area untill it busts through. (You will have to take some pretty good swings at it) From there you can start busting it into chunks small enough to remove.

One word of caution it is very loud when you hit it and be sure to where safty classes because the porcelin will shatter and fly all over. Also when you remove it there may be many sharp edges so wear some heavy gloves when you pick up the pieces.

I have removed many of these tubs like this. It is a great way to relieve some of those built up tensions smashing it apart with a big hammer… LOL.

Mark