Rehab of heavy smokers house - Posted by Kevin TEXAS

Posted by Nate - MI on October 20, 2003 at 13:53:25:

I’ve got to disagree with you here. Home Depot sells Behr paint. Behr is one of the best paints on the market. It usually covers in one coat and is far better then some other “national” brands of paint. We use it in as many commercial construction projects as we can.

Give me Behr over Ben. Moore or Sherwin Williams any day.

Nate - MI

Rehab of heavy smokers house - Posted by Kevin TEXAS

Posted by Kevin TEXAS on October 20, 2003 at 10:43:40:

I am about to begin a rehab. The previous owner was a heavy smoker and the interior of the house has a layer of yellow-brown stain everywhere (you can see the outlines of where the old pictures were). Do you do anything special to the trim and doors(latex) or the walls before painting? What do you recommend to do about the AC system to get rid of the smell?

Re: Rehab of heavy smokers house - Posted by Space Available

Posted by Space Available on October 22, 2003 at 08:49:04:

Why not give your insurance agent a call and ask him who they use when they need to get rid of smoke damage after a house fire? In our area (northern IL) a company by the name of Servicemaster can take care of this.

Re: Rehab of heavy smokers house - Posted by Nancy

Posted by Nancy on October 21, 2003 at 12:38:49:

We are working on a heavy smoker house right now. The former owners (who never cleaned) lived there 27 years before losing it.

The nicotine residue was on everything…even the shower stall, toilet, electrical sockets, etc! It was so thick the lady at the paint store said I had to wash the walls with TSP solution (Tri-Sodium Phosphate) so the paint would stick to the walls. I primed the ceilings before painting.

My recommendation is to have a separate bucket of water to rinse out your rag because if you don’t you end up putting nicotine “tea” back on the walls. I also washed all the woodwork and trim including the interior of all closets, cabinets, duct work, etc.

Re: Rehab of heavy smokers house - Posted by tracy

Posted by tracy on October 20, 2003 at 21:19:22:

Now just imagine what the interior of this smoker’s lungs look like! Doesn’t this make you want to pick up the addiction? (just kidding)

Re: Rehab of heavy smokers house - Posted by Long Beach Ed

Posted by Long Beach Ed on October 20, 2003 at 11:49:59:

Paint everything with a pigmented shallac such as BIN’s or KILZ. This white stuff that smells like varnish will cover that brown goop so it doesn’t bleed through your new paint. Then I’d use a quality paint like Moore or True Value.

Some say wash the goop off, but I think that’s a waste of time. You’ll never get it all off. And stay away from Home Depot or other cheap paints. They just woun’t cover and what you save in per-gallon cost you’ll waste in the labor of applying five coats.

Long Beach Ed

Paint education - Posted by ThePaintPro

Posted by ThePaintPro on October 21, 2003 at 12:33:02:

Good call on the Binz/Kilz. Stuff is magical.

The Behr paint available at Home Depot is actually very good product. Don’t bother with the other brands in the store for our purposes. Otherwise, use a professional product like Dunn-Edwards or Kelly-Moore. We’ve used all the others over time and they just don’t stack up. The cost difference isn’t really that much, and it is certainly offset by the labor savings.

Re: Rehab of heavy smokers house - Posted by Jim FL

Posted by Jim FL on October 20, 2003 at 12:59:18:

Ed,
When you said:
“stay away from Home Depot or other cheap paints. They just woun’t cover and what you save in per-gallon cost you’ll waste in the labor of applying five coats.”

I had to chuckle a bit.
We just completed a minor rehab, and did in fact use 5 coats on most areas of the house.
With, yup, you guessed it, Home Depot paint.
You are right about the savings…if we had paid FULL price.
The reason we went with this paint, was because it was “mis-tinted” paint, and only cost me $1/gallon.
After all was said and done, we did save a few bucks.
I was lucky and found 3 large 5 gallon buckets of the SAME off-white color.

I always try to encourage folks to save a few bucks, and mis-tinted paint is one way to do just that.

Check it out, some paint stores even GIVE it away.

Just wanted to pass along a little tip,
Jim FL