Real estate schools - Posted by Frank

Posted by Kristine-CA on May 26, 2004 at 17:37:04:

Frank Chin: thank you so much for the good information and ideas regarding finding owners/mailing addresses. I visit Williamsburg often. I used to live in NY/NJ and have friends here. There are parts of Williamsburg that still look like they have potential to me. I’m hoping that maybe some of the things that I’m doing in CA would work here: vacant/abandoned properties, title flaws and junkers–that sort of thing. I’ve looked into some properties here before, but never followed through on any. Now I’ve found some areas that look like they have deals. And I’m looking for a 2-4 unit for my friends who are renting.

Plus–I love Brooklyn. I like cities in general, but I think Brooklyn is amazing. When I lived in NYC and Jersey City I never really checked out Brooklyn.

Thanks again for your help. Sincerely, Kristine

Real estate schools - Posted by Frank

Posted by Frank on May 22, 2004 at 06:53:00:

I am looking to become a little bit more familiar with the agent side of real estate.My thoughts are that it would probably help me since I am new to investing and would like any information I before I begin.Does anyone agree that this would benefit a person?Also,any good schools in the Nassau county area,things to look for in a school?All comments welcome.Thanks for the advice.

-Frank

Courses available at CW Post, further thoughts - Posted by Frank Chin

Posted by Frank Chin on May 23, 2004 at 06:33:19:

Frank:

You might check:

http://www.cwpost.liunet.edu/cwis/cwp/conted/realestate/

A little closer to you, and maybe less expensive.

Then some local realtors offer training, see the link:

http://www.laffey.net/index.cfm?fuseaction=jobs

Taking the RE license course is a good way to understand various aspects of RE. If you attend your local RE club meetings, you may get handouts from RE schools that may be a bit cheaper.

While NYU was a bit pricier, I found students enrolled in some of the courses as part of certain certification programs are already working in the field, and is a good source of information, as well as asking good relevant questions in class. Employers pay the tuition in some cases.

On the other hand, I don’t expect the experienced folks to attend some of the cheapee classes for taking the licensing exam. You’ll probably find housewives, out of work truck drivers etc. attending.

So it all depends on what experience you want to get out of the course.

Frank Chin

Re: Real estate schools - Posted by Sherry(Md)

Posted by Sherry(Md) on May 22, 2004 at 21:11:54:

I don’t live in New York but if you just want to take the re course for information purposes you may find the prices cheaper if you contact re companies that offer the classes;Compared to the college prices they are considerable less. I know here in maryland the re companies are cheaper than the local colleges.

Just my 2cents
Sherry

PS… Info on NYU Courses - Posted by Frank Chin

Posted by Frank Chin on May 22, 2004 at 14:04:40:

Frank:

Check out this link for the NYU courses I mentioned earlier:

You might want to check out their “weekend” courses to start.

Frank Chin

Re: Real estate schools - Posted by Frank Chin

Posted by Frank Chin on May 22, 2004 at 10:20:12:

Frank:

I live in Bayside Queens, which borders Nassau County. There’s a commnuity college in Bayside that offers RE course. Check the URL:

and click on “The Real Estate Academy”

I attended “Real Estate school” at the NYU school of continuing education in downtown Manhattan. I haven’t checked the syllabus lately, but NYU appears to have a larger selction of courses. The offer courses for RE agents, Property Management certification to name a few.

The schools gives you a good overall knowledge of RE. But as to developing it into a business, that’s another matter altogether.

Frank Chin

Re: Real estate schools - Posted by jasonrei

Posted by jasonrei on May 22, 2004 at 09:34:44:

I agree it is a potential benefit. I don’t know what prices are. Think I paid about $110 per course years ago. The classes were Friday-Sunday, maybe 8am to 4pm. Something like that. Don’t know of any schools in Nassau.

Might wanna read “All About Escrow” when you get a chance.

Re: Courses available at CW Post, further thoughts - Posted by Kristine-CA

Posted by Kristine-CA on May 24, 2004 at 21:57:31:

Greetings Frank Chin. I’m in NY this week (Williamsburg) and and wondering if you can suggest who I can call for mailing labels for a particular neighborhood. I don’t know any fellow investors here and am not sure if this is something that title companies do here like they do in CA.

Of course I’d prefer free labels/data but I’m willing to pay. If title companies don’t provide that kind of service here, can you suggest a local data provider?

Thanks for any suggestions. Sincerely, Kristine