quit claim deed - Posted by Joe Aratok

Posted by Angel Gutierrez on November 14, 2001 at 10:00:34:

Sounds like you’re trying to take what doesn’t rightfully belong to you. I see lots of problems in the future for you.
Good luck(you’ll need it).

Angel
Dallas, Tx

quit claim deed - Posted by Joe Aratok

Posted by Joe Aratok on November 13, 2001 at 21:27:14:

I hope you can help me to determine if a quit claim deed is valid and if it will remain valid. A elderly freind took me to the courthouse to sign a quit claim deed making me co-owner with the right of survivorship. It was recorded in the courthouse. Since that time, about a year ago, the freind that signed the deed, has been asking me to sign another quit claim deed and removing myself from any right of ownership. I have declined. I have decided not to sign anything for the time being. The elderly freind is 80 years old, and the greedy side of my mind tells me to just wait it out even though I know in my heart that he does not want me to have the home after his death. The home is fully paid for. What I want to know, is there any way that the deed Im listed on can be changed without my signiture. If I continue to wait and do not sign anything, will the home become my property upon his death and will there be any difficulty in taking possesion of the home? I hope you answer and give me some insight on this matter. Thank you in advance…Joe

Re: quit claim deed - Posted by William Bronchick

Posted by William Bronchick on November 14, 2001 at 20:09:23:

Legally speaking, you have 1/2 ownership, and when he dies, you will have it all. Of course, his heirs can try to challenge the original conveyance claiming fraud, duress, etc, but it is their case to prove. In the meantime, you have been given a gift 1/2 of the property; it is no less legal because you gave no consideration.

As for the moral, ethical issues, that’s a discussion for another forum. I just handle the legal stuff here!

Re: quit claim deed - Posted by Brandon (FL)

Posted by Brandon (FL) on November 14, 2001 at 18:12:30:

Does the right of surviorship mean its yours outright when he passes?

Did you 2 get in an arguement? Did you give him money? Did you pay your way into this? I’m sure there’s more to the story.

I went into business with my father. Put my name on everything due to his bad credit. I trusted him that nothing bad would happen. Long story short, I’m out of the business now, he retains full control and I have debt now I can’t handle.

It crushed me that my father did this to me but it gave me the lesson never to do it to anyone else and I’ll always be conscious of this.