Question for JimFl - Posted by Sid Harvey

Posted by Jim FL on August 07, 2001 at 02:46:49:

Wayne,
sheesh…next your gonna ask me if I FRISK my potential buyers and tenants…
So, I’ll answer you ahead of time.
No I don’t, just smart @$$ed newbies…after we give em an “Elevator ride”, which unless you’ve worked, “inside” within the law enforcement world, you will not know what that means, and trust me, you don’t wanna know.

Have a good day,
Jim FL

P.S. Are you by any chance the guy who put stickers on his competitors signs?

Question for JimFl - Posted by Sid Harvey

Posted by Sid Harvey on August 06, 2001 at 02:19:03:

Hi Jim, I too am thinking about moving to another area and am curious. Have you met any investors in your new area that has tried to help you or seemed to want to work with you instead of working against you? Maybe show you the area or what to look out for? I would hate to move to another area and immediatly figure that the local investors were “out to get me” as soon as I turned my back. Would like any advice you have that would make life easier in a new area. Sid

answer from Jim FL - Posted by Jim FL

Posted by Jim FL on August 07, 2001 at 01:49:18:

Sid,
Well, I was lucky enough to be put in touch with someone here BEFORE I moved , from another person here on CRE. (Thanks by the way)
This other investor is also a reader/participant here, and I don’t have permission to give his name, so I won’t.
But, he has been very kind with both his time, and resources.
And, a nice person to boot.
It was nice to move here and immediately gain a friend, and for that I am grateful.
I don’t worry at all about this person be “out to get me”, because I’m usually a pretty good judge of character, being an ex-cop and all, and I see nothing but a good heart in him.

I’ve also talked to some other investors from the area in e-mail and on the phone, who were kind, and seemed to be nice. I have not met them face to face though.

And, sadly, I have had encounters, or whatever you want to call it, with some “investors” (I even hate to refer to them this way, because to me, it implies a professional.), who were not so nice.
Remember my post recently about someone stealing my badit signs, or placing theres in front of mine?
I actually caught some doing that.
These are NOT the type of investors I want to network with, so they can have whatever it is they think they may have to offer. Which in my opinion is nothing, since dishonest people are worthless in my opinion.

Anyway, even if I had not met some good folks here, I know how to network, and to build a “Team”, because I’ve done it.
So, don’t let the fact that there “May” be other REI’s in the area prevent you from moving.

I looked at it this way, when I heard there were quite a few other investors in the area where I was moving…“They are not my competition and they do not scare me. There is plenty of deals to be had by all. If anyone should worry, it should be them, because I’m on a mission to be the BEST home buyer in my area.”

And I will be, because I won’t quit until I am.

and “no”, I’m not trying to be arrogant, I’m just trying to maintain a postive attitude and PUSH myself past my comfort level, until I achieve the success I so BADLY desire.
My family deserves to have that from me.

When it comes time for you to move, drop me a line and I’d be more than happy to pass along my contact info.
Then perhaps I can talk to you, and share with you my moving experiences, which for the most part have been GREAT!

Have a great day,
Jim FL

Re: answer from Jim FL - Posted by Julius Levai

Posted by Julius Levai on August 09, 2001 at 11:37:44:

Jim ! Why did You pick Florida ? Thanks. J.L.

Re: answer from Jim FL - Posted by Kim FL

Posted by Kim FL on August 09, 2001 at 10:41:29:

Jim and Susan in Florida

Moved to FL 2 1/2 yrs ago from Nebr.!!! In Feb. I took a merger related buy-out and want to make career change into REI. Any advice on networking in FL??? Don’t know many in this area. Am attending first REI meeting this evening.

Susan, I about died the first time I discovered the red ants bite! My favorite tho was learning that there are toads that can kill dogs! Yikes.

Thanks,
Kim

There?s plenty to go around for EVERYBODY! - Posted by SusanL.–FL

Posted by SusanL.–FL on August 07, 2001 at 09:13:09:

You are sooooooooo right Jim. Still?some people are just afraid.

I had a ?chance? encounter with another investor a couple days ago. He was a middle-aged fella (cashier) at our local auto parts store. When I found out that he was an investor (and had bought a choice piece of rental property out on the beach), I tried to engage him in (r.e.) conversation. He would have NONE of it. Maybe afraid that I?d try to horn in on things. I?m not kidding. It was like pulling teeth!!

I finally gave up, threw my beach towel over my head [have given up on umbrellas down here], picked up my new car battery, then dashed back out into the teaming rain.

Hey Jim, Howdja like them RED ANTS we’re got down here?? Pesky little devils, huh? 'Specially when they give the ‘signal’ to ALL bite at the same time! :slight_smile:

Re: answer from Jim FL - Posted by wayne

Posted by wayne on August 07, 2001 at 02:38:32:

Just curious…you say you are an ex-cop…did you initially get interested in re by charging the “tenants” of your jail cells rent. And how did you handle the tenants complaints about the lousy food, no visitors except the first monday, and no cable service in the area?

No snow … - Posted by Jim FL

Posted by Jim FL on August 09, 2001 at 13:09:29:

And that pretty much sums it up.
I know there were other places where there was no snow, but I had been here many times throuhout my life, and liked it.

Pick-up Car Battery… - Posted by JT - IN

Posted by JT - IN on August 07, 2001 at 22:33:09:

Susan:

I would like for you to talk to my wife, and explain to her about the 2001 women who fix their own cars, including lugging around their own battery.

You sound like an ideal, “low maintenance” woman.

This Bud’s for you…

JT - IN