private forest - Posted by c

Posted by roundhouse on July 24, 2001 at 20:18:24:

loggers make their own roads.

You need topay a timber cruiser a fee to appraise the value of your timber so you will know which bid to accept.

used to be about $5,000 an acre but timber prices go up and down like crazy, and i think they are down right now, but not sure.
If the price is down now and, you can wait you might wanna wait until the price is back up.
Or you might wanna harvest say 8% and replant, then in a year or two do it again, and you will have a perpetual money machine.
Be aware though that if you are not careful the timber co will trash your property, leavin all the stumps and limbs and a huge mess. Also in a lot of places it has to be replanted.

private forest - Posted by c

Posted by c on July 24, 2001 at 19:44:26:

What can I do with a parcel of private forest about 80 acres. I was told I can sell the timber to a contract. is this true & how can I go about doing this. Is this possible even if there are no main roads to the parcel.

Re: private forest - Posted by c

Posted by c on July 26, 2001 at 11:11:40:

I would just like to thank everyone that replyed. The info has been useful & at least now I know where to start my in depth research.

Re: private forest - Posted by gwl

Posted by gwl on July 24, 2001 at 23:14:42:

I wouldn’t clear cut the land - you can sell some of the top grade trees to veneer buyers most times for more than you can get for the entire stand as clear cut.

Re: private forest - Posted by Dave T

Posted by Dave T on July 24, 2001 at 20:57:58:

Check with your taxing authority. Some taxing jurisdictions give a reforestation tax credit. The tax credit could even run for several years depending upon the acreage involved.

You get income from the timber harvester, have him replant as part of your harvest contract, then collect a tax credit against your property taxes for one or more years.