Potential Source of Sellers - feedback appreciated - Posted by Tillman (DE)

Posted by Tillman (DE) on March 03, 2004 at 12:12:23:

I’m using a local job board where access to the resumes are free. I looked at using the national job boards like Monster and Dice, but you have to buy blocks of resumes and they cost about $400 for 250 resumes within a 50 mile radius.
Going to see how well it works out with the local job board before investing in access to nationals.

Potential Source of Sellers - feedback appreciated - Posted by Tillman (DE)

Posted by Tillman (DE) on March 01, 2004 at 09:35:39:

Here I was this morning, updating my resume at the job websites, when it hit me…

90% of those job posters are currently out of work and are most likely income challenged. If they own a home, there may be a good chance they are or will shortly become a motivated seller, right?

Has anyone tried direct mail marketing to job seekers posting on the job websites?

If so, how were your results?

If not, what do you think of the idea?

Also, wouldn’t the local unemployment office be a good farm for bird dogs AND possibly motivated sellers?

Re: Potential Source of Sellers - … - Posted by MM

Posted by MM on March 02, 2004 at 03:50:07:

the unemployment office can be a good bird dog source and motivated seller source also (if they’ll allow you to leave your flyers, or put one up on their board ). never tried the online approch but i think it would be worth a shot :slight_smile:

Re: Potential Source of Sellers - … - Posted by Tillman (DE)

Posted by Tillman (DE) on March 02, 2004 at 05:22:28:

Thanks for the feedback.

I also called a couple of the employment agencies and talked to a few recruiters. I told them that if any of their ‘employee side’ clients were complaining about not being able to meet their bills, to give them my name, since I buy houses pretty quickly I might be able to help them out, AND if I did buy a house from someone they referred, I’d give them $200. I had four of them say they knew of a couple of people they’d give my card to right off the top.

And I pulled 5 resumes from an online job board. All of them have local SFH addresses and show their last job ending 3-6 months ago, so I’ll be sending them a post card.

Re: Potential Source of Sellers - … - Posted by MM

Posted by MM on March 02, 2004 at 17:30:58:

sounds good you could probably even target this a little for the price homes your wanting to buy judgeing from what employment their looking for then finding out how much that job can afford house wise might indicate what kind of home their in right now.

Re: Potential Source of Sellers - … - Posted by Tillman (DE)

Posted by Tillman (DE) on March 02, 2004 at 22:12:06:

Thanks - I did that. On the job board I was pulling resume’s from, 80% of them had desired salary listed. I then checked their most recent position and the ones out of work 2-6 months are my target.

I’m assuming what they’re seeking in salary is what they need to meet their obligations since they’ve been unemployed a while I wouldn’t imagine their shooting for pie in the sky salary wise.

Re: Potential Source of Sellers - … - Posted by rm

Posted by rm on March 05, 2004 at 18:31:20:

Have someone else do this for you.

Too time-intensive.

Re: Potential Source of Sellers - … - Posted by Rick- MD

Posted by Rick- MD on March 03, 2004 at 11:25:19:

Hey Tillman,

Great idea. Just one question, Is this a nationwide Job Board or is it local to your area? I would check it out if it’s available in my area. I am in Maryland.

Thanks,
Rick