Postcard mailings...do these numbers add up - Posted by Mike

Posted by Matt on September 24, 2003 at 12:54:54:

I sent out mailing all the time. I actually find that sending to the more run down neighborhoods works better. I sent out 87 letters a month ago. Got five reponses and have 3 houses on contract with HUGE equity.
PS If you’re investing in Florida, I have access to all owners addresses in 25 counties. See my ad on Cre-online/Florida.

Good Luck! Matt

Postcard mailings…do these numbers add up - Posted by Mike

Posted by Mike on September 24, 2003 at 09:09:25:

Hi.

I’ve been reading about Richard Roop’s postcard system and am considering doing blanket postcard mailings. Can anyone out there with mailing experience give me an idea on the ratio of closings vs. postcards sent. For instance, in his article he says that he expects a .3-.5% response rate and about one deal out of every 10 calls. The .3-.5% sounds reasonable, but one deal out of every 10 calls seems pretty high to me. I’m thinking 1 deal out of every 20-30 calls. With those numbers, it seems like you’d have to send out about 5000 postcards per month to nail one deal. That’s fine with me if that’s a reasonable expectation.

Can anyone comment on this please.

Thanks.

Re: Postcard mailings…do these numbers add up - Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA)

Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA) on September 24, 2003 at 10:31:46:

Mike------------

Don’t try to anticipate the future. Nobody knows what will happen where you are. There is no way for you to project the future results with any accuracy.

When it comes to marketing there is only one thing that works: trying. That does not mean just one trial with one message. It means trying different messages to different markets over time. Even hitting the same mailing list again, as people’s situations change.

I did a mailing of about 825 cards four years ago to Sacramento, CA, property owners who lived away from the county and bought three properties. I could probably have bought two others later, but did not have the desire to follow through enough to buy them.

Last year, probably about July, I sent over 1300 cards to property owners here in Alameda, CA, where I live. Results: One letter “no,” two phone calls from people wanting 125 percent of market value.

Don’t ask what will happen. Send out your postcards and see what happens.

There have been posts about a service from the postoffice whereby you provide the text for a postcard and a list of names/addresses electronically. The postoffice creates and delivers the cards for, I believe, 17 cents each. Do an archive search on post cards, postal service, etc.

Good InvestingRon Starr

Re: Postcard mailings…do these numbers add up - Posted by Barry (FL)

Posted by Barry (FL) on September 24, 2003 at 09:35:40:

I think it will probably depend on the areas your sending to etc. The first mailing I did with his postcards I sent 1900 cards, I recieved 1 call, I bought/sold the house 30K cha ching!
It only takes 1 deal to recoup your costs and my marketing budget is paid for the next 3 years!

Hope This Helps,
Barry (FL)

Thanks Barry…One question - Posted by Mike

Posted by Mike on September 24, 2003 at 09:41:26:

What type of area(s) did you do your mailing. 1 call is pretty dismal, but at least your closing ratio is 100% :slight_smile:

The areas I’m targeting are definitely more run-down older neighborhoods. I’ve done lots of deals over the past few years, so I know there are houses that need work.

Re: Thanks Barry…One question - Posted by Barry (FL)

Posted by Barry (FL) on September 24, 2003 at 21:36:24:

I started out in one of the hottest, fastest appreciating areas. This area is 1950’s 2br bungalows about a block from the beach. In the 3 years I have been watching the market these properties have more than doubled in value. I took possession of the property on a Friday and had it under contract Monday for full price and I didn’t lift a finger on it.
I tried in this area first as I knew If I got one it would retail immediately and it did. I was probably lucky to get the one I did, but I intend on farming this area on a regular basis as I want to hold here.

Hope This Helps,
Barry (FL)