Ploblems with gas furnace/boiler - Posted by IB (NJ)

Posted by Tom on October 30, 2001 at 24:21:09:

This is a good question to take to heatinghelp.com

Ploblems with gas furnace/boiler - Posted by IB (NJ)

Posted by IB (NJ) on October 30, 2001 at 24:04:05:

Can anyone give me some pointers real quick before I call my plumber in the morning.

My boiler/furnace sounds like it’s kicking out heat but there doesn’t seem to be much heat coming out of the radiator. The boiler itself is hot, and when I drain water out of it through the pressure release valve, the water comes out steaming hot. I know this is not normal. Not only that but the pressure guage which usually runs 5 PSI is running 20-25! Now the glass tube that shows the water level (I forgot what it’s called)is showing full all the way to the top. Any ideas? I shut off the boiler for safety but da%$ it’s cold out there!

Re: Ploblems with gas furnace/boiler - Posted by Mike Ryan

Posted by Mike Ryan on October 30, 2001 at 19:11:37:

This is something I can help with. I’m a plumber by trade, just getting into real estate. First a few questions. What kind of boiler (steam, hot water, older, newer) and what type of base board(radiators)does the house have. As some have mentioned here your problem may be as simple as an airlock which would mearly require purging the system,(getting the air bubbles out), replacing a zone valve or a transformer, or maybe even the pump or controll board. In order for me to tell I need more info. Go to the boiler, have someone shove one of the thermostats up to full and look, listen, to the zone valves see if one of them opens up. Try that with all of the zones first. If the valves open they’re probably ok, if not you’ll need to check out the one or ones that didn’t. If one or more open but not all, transformer’s also probably ok. If none open then check the transformer that they are wired to, it may have burned out. If the transformer and the zone valves are all ok, it’s probably the pump. Sorry bout that but nothing lasts forever. Hope this helps.

Re: Ploblems with gas furnace/boiler - Posted by MikeD

Posted by MikeD on October 30, 2001 at 24:23:13:

YOu may have an air lock in the radiator, preventing the steam from passing from the boiler into the radiator. You will have to call your plumber to take care of this (or your HVAC man more likely.)