PEX lifesaver or pain - Posted by Don-NY

Posted by Joe C. (AR) on February 24, 2003 at 23:40:59:

I should also mention, the Quest fittings are the only ones I know of that enable you to adapt pex to other types of plumbing, PVC, copper, poly etc. So if you are just repairing sections with pex, use the Quest fittings. The extra cost is not a factor because of the saved labor.

Joe C. (AR)

PEX lifesaver or pain - Posted by Don-NY

Posted by Don-NY on February 24, 2003 at 14:01:17:

I have been using cpvc in my units but am thinking of going ahead and buying a PEX crimper and all the pipe, fittings,etc. The northeast has been hell on pipes this winter. Is it that much better and easier?

Re: PEX lifesaver or pain - Posted by Joe C. (AR)

Posted by Joe C. (AR) on February 24, 2003 at 23:34:49:

Don,
There are several PEX tubing manufacturers. PEX is good and I wouldn’t use anything else. The only one I am familiar with that requires the “crimper” is “Wirsbo Aquapex”. I checked into it here and the dealers I found didn’t carry enough of a supply of fittings to make it convenient (you have to order it days in advance). It’s also more expensive than other pex’s I’ve found.
The pex I buy is from a MH supplier (it’s orange). They also have a good supply of fittings for this application. I’ve also used the Lowe’s and Home Depot stuff. The tubing is priced ok, but the fittings (Quest) are relatively high.
To sum up:
Pex is the way to go
1st coice: MH supplier
2nd choice: Lowe’s/HD
last choice: Whirsbo (price, availability, better suited and targeted to new stick built home construction.

Joe C. (AR)

Re: PEX lifesaver or pain - Posted by Chuck-NY

Posted by Chuck-NY on February 24, 2003 at 16:20:44:

Don…The guy that does my MH plumbing tried cpvc without great success. I’ve heard that PEX is good. My plumber uses the plastic compression fittings from Lowes…not sure if that is PEX or not.

My plumber just called me…the stuff at Lowes is called Quest.

How are things going over your neck of the woods?