Penalty for those who remove my bandit signs - Posted by rey

Posted by rey on July 22, 2002 at 15:49:33:

Better yet Michela, just don’t attack those who’ve done nothing to you and expect them to turn the other cheek.

Penalty for those who remove my bandit signs - Posted by rey

Posted by rey on July 19, 2002 at 08:02:16:

I’m angry that people keep stealing my bandit signs and I’ll start smearing my signs with poison ivy sap and taping the leaves around the borders of the sign for a little surprise to those who think they’ll continue to get away with it. I may not find it easy to nail mine up in the air as opposed to sticking them in the ground but that doesn’t mean I’ll stand by helpless. What more to do to stop them for disappearing here in TX???

Re: Penalty for those who remove my bandit signs - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on July 19, 2002 at 19:54:19:

If you have a problem with signs, make them for dirt dirt cheap like I do. 60 cents a sign. I’ve always expected that at least half of my signs are going to disappear within a few days of me putting them out.

Common sense dictates to me that if I am leaving a sign on someone else’s property that obviously, sooner or later, they are going to get taken down or destroyed, etc. Get over it and move on. It’s just a darn sign.

Re: Stop whining, poor baby. - Posted by Ed Copp (OH)

Posted by Ed Copp (OH) on July 19, 2002 at 15:12:34:

Lets see now…

First off you place your bandit sign, on public property. This is most likely illegal.

Then you leave it there, just like common litter.

Now to make matters you want to do harm to the poor slob, who most likely has the real job of cleaning up the mess that you made.

Perhaps you can explain just who, in thier right mind; would want to do business with a whining, law breaking poor baby.

Increase in penalty in Houston - Posted by Jim (Houston)

Posted by Jim (Houston) on July 19, 2002 at 14:44:36:

What part of texas? in Houston there was a story about bandit signs on KHOU News that said they just doubled the fine to $300 for any bandit signs and that they were taking them down on the weekends as well now. So your signs might be getting taken by the city. Don’t know though seems like you would have gotten a call from the city if that was the case though. IF it is the city though and you start boobie trapping them I am sure they would be calling.

Just a thought =)

Good Luck!
Jim Goodwin

Get some plastic explosives… - Posted by Matt

Posted by Matt on July 19, 2002 at 12:02:00:

and wire them to the base of the telephone poles. If they remove the sign, BOOM!, you remove their precious legs and feet. Just Kidding…I agree with Tim below

Re: Don’t get mad, Don’t get even; Just move on… - Posted by Tim Fierro (Tacoma, WA)

Posted by Tim Fierro (Tacoma, WA) on July 19, 2002 at 11:20:41:

It’s only a sign worth a couple of dollars, don’t get so upset that they show up missing. Either live with the idea that some people will take your signs, but you like the leads from that area; or simply don’t put your signs up in that area and move on to other areas.

Re: Penalty for those who remove my bandit signs - Posted by jd

Posted by jd on July 19, 2002 at 08:58:37:

Have you tried booby traps? Just kidding :slight_smile:

1. smear axel grease on the back of the signs. Who would want to put those in the back of the car.

2. You could spray them with pepper spray. OUCH!

3. Park a car with a video camera to catch the bandit stealing your bandits. It may be someone you know.

Good luck.

Re: Penalty for those who remove my bandit signs - Posted by Brian Mac

Posted by Brian Mac on July 20, 2002 at 23:40:11:

Rob

What did you say you used for hangers or stakes? Some kind of mesh?

Thank you

Brian Mac

Wrong side of the bed? - Posted by Nathan(oh)

Posted by Nathan(oh) on July 19, 2002 at 18:12:45:

Ed, that is not the usual cheerful response I see from you. While bandit signs may be illegal in some cases, I see no problem with them as long as you don’t bombard an area.

I only use bandit signs and do quite well with them.

Also, the people who remove them are really whiners and little babies. They have no souls and are born of satan.

Man am I laughing hard :slight_smile: Funny stuff Ed NT - Posted by jd orlando

Posted by jd orlando on July 19, 2002 at 15:36:11:

Posted by Rob FL on July 21, 2002 at 10:31:03:

It’s a Home Depot in the concrete department called “block mesh.”

Re: Nope - Posted by Ed Copp (OH)

Posted by Ed Copp (OH) on July 19, 2002 at 20:45:45:

Actually I had hoped that my post would inspire someone to think a bit…Missed again.

Is it possible that a “bandit” sign could be effectivly placed on private property without all the fuss. You might find my “bandit” signs (yes I do use them) on such things as fences, buildings, vehicles, and trailers. No law against that if the proper permission is obtained. Now I do understand that obtaining permission does take some of the excitement out of the plan. This of course presumes that there are no local laws against the disply with permission.

Now since I have been a real estate broker for some time now, in my state I MUST put my company name on my “bandit” signs, and I do. This makes the matter a bit more tricky, but a bit of old fashioned thinking will work wonders.

Now the poison ivy comment was a problem for me. You see it is my opinion that any time you attempt to harm anyone you are just wrong. A man or woman who works on a job that requires picking up the “bandit” signs need not be caused a problem by intentionally placed poison ivy. How childish. Which would you rather do, cause this human being to be on sick leave, or have this taxpayer funded person working, and possibly become your customer? Customer or enemy, pretty easy choice for me.

As for the removal of the signs, if they are well placed the problem is rare. I have had at least six signs in the same place for over a year now.

Re: Man am I laughing hard :slight_smile: Funny stuff Ed NT - Posted by rey

Posted by rey on July 19, 2002 at 17:00:56:

Yes, like the rest of us, the undereducated can be amusing!

Re: Penalty for those who remove my bandit signs - Posted by Ron (MD)

Posted by Ron (MD) on July 21, 2002 at 17:08:16:

Rob,

I’ve looked at that stuff…it’s heavy steel concrete reinforcing mesh. What I saw came in 5’x50’ rolls. I figured you could make at least 50 sign stakes out of one $30 roll.

Someone told me you could also buy the same material in 5’x5’ squares. If I try it, I’ll look for that.

How do you cut it up? It seems much stronger than any of the sign stakes I’ve used before, but I think it would take bolt cutters to cut it up into individual stakes. What do you use?

Thx.

Ron Guy

How do you get them to stick to buildings? - Posted by Chris

Posted by Chris on July 20, 2002 at 01:55:27:

That’s what I want to know! We have concrete light poles that are very wide and would take about 10 of those plastic ties… there has got to be a better way. I’m betting that if you can get them to stick to the buildings… I should be able to get them on the poles.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I for one would like to see more posts geared towards REI than flexing muscles.

Chris

Ed, those 6 signs… - Posted by JT-IN

Posted by JT-IN on July 19, 2002 at 23:49:01:

in the garage don’t count… LOL

Try to go a little easier on these young pups, Ed. It is a shame to deprive them from the mostly cheerful, bubbly Ed Copp, with some of the vinegar from above.

Just a helpful bit of advice for an old Sailor/Salt.

JT-IN

Re: Man am I laughing hard :slight_smile: Funny stuff Ed NT - Posted by Ellie

Posted by Ellie on July 19, 2002 at 20:03:29:

I absolutely despise these awful personal attacks that stray from the subject matter and waste CREonline readers’ learning time, but I’m having difficulty just moving on to the next thread this time.

For starters: Rey, did you mean the rest of us can be amusing like the undereducated? Because if you’re going to attack someone’s intellect as though yours is superior, Microsoft’s thesaurus and spelling/grammar check isn’t enough to back you up.

I believe you meant:

“Yes, like the rest of us. The undereducated can be amusing!”

I agree with this one comment of yours. I agree with Ed and Michaela on the rest. And if you will look back at your orignial post, you might acknowledge the fact that IT’s tone was nasty and offensive – which merely provokes more nasty and offensive posts.

I suggest you check your own behavior and IQ before you start accusing honest, intelligent, helpful, and admirable people of having poor attitudes and inferior intellect. This board is a place to share information, not a place to gripe about something a majority of investors are obviously going through (based on recent threads). This is also not a place to voice your disgraceful intentions, and then expect sympathy and similar sentiments.

An intelligent person who had done some keyword searches would have realized this.

…And I apologize to anyone whose time I have wasted with this irrelevant post.

Posted by Rob FL on July 21, 2002 at 20:10:28:

The ones I buy are shaped like a ladder with 8 rungs. I use bolt cutters to cut it down into 8 metal stakes. I just walked up and down the store aisles until I found something that looked like it would do the job.

Re: Where I live, I am blessed - Posted by Ed Copp

Posted by Ed Copp on July 20, 2002 at 15:26:14:

with an abundance of old run down buildings. Most of them are either wood or metal of some kind. Long roofing nails, or drywall screws will probably outlast the buildings.

Now about the super poles of concrete. Fortunately we do not have them here. Perhaps a ten foot strip of duct tape would go all the way around the pole, sticking to itself when the circle is complete (tape on tape). Then perhaps two strips of tape top and bottom.

If you remember a post of mine from a year or so then you can note that it is possible to gain a lot of extra height by backing a pick-up truck up to the pole and standing on top of the closed tailgate. Do be careful because areas like the ones mentioned are noted for excessive gravity.