Owner Pasted Away 9 yrs ago - Posted by DaytonaNative

Posted by DaytonaNative on December 29, 2001 at 19:28:04:

I found out finaly by a search on Ancestry.com The database with CA Deaths showed her name. Due to the uniquness of her last name, I am 99% sure this is the same woman I am loolking for. I am writting to CA for the death cert info on Monday. She was 86 when she died.

Owner Pasted Away 9 yrs ago - Posted by DaytonaNative

Posted by DaytonaNative on December 26, 2001 at 21:07:21:

Thank you to those who responded to my earlier post “First Deal - Should I walk”. We Decided to walk away for now and move on.

Of course I’m stuck again.

We have found a SFH in a nice neighborhood near the water - not for sale but according to neighbors has been vacant for at least a year. Thought this might be a really good rehaber. I’ve been researching the owner for 2 weeks. Have been to the courthouse. Talked to the tax appraiser - clerk of the court - public records. I’ve just recently found that the owner (purchased the home in 73 - but not lived in it) passed away in CA in 1992. I have requested the obit be pulled from the archives from the local newspaper there (CA) to find out who handled the estate, but dont hold much hope that it will contain much info. Today I spoke with the finance department of the tax appraiser’s office here locally - their records show that the owner paid the taxes herself last year! Amazing huh?!? EVERYTHING is still in her name.

The owner had a VERY unique name but I’m not finding any records of children.

I have her SS# from her death records and her maiden name.

Any advice as to my next step? My last resort is to start calling everone with the same last name in the US.

Thanks!
DaytonaNative

Re: Owner Pasted Away 9 yrs ago - Posted by Scott Ewing S.W. Mich

Posted by Scott Ewing S.W. Mich on December 27, 2001 at 06:36:56:

Didn’t the tax records have a address where the tax bills are sent? If so write a letter, to that address.
Scott

Re: Owner Passed Away 9 yrs ago - Posted by JT-In

Posted by JT-In on December 26, 2001 at 22:18:04:

DN:

The Obituary will not mention who handled the estate. It may, however, mention heirs, such as children, or next of kin…

Once you determine which City that she died in, then go to the county offices of that city, and visit the clerk and recorders office, which should have record of any probate activity for her. As part of the file, it will list an Atty who filed such action. If no such file exists, then she may have died “intestate”; without a will, and without anyone who took charge enough to handle her affairs.

Either way, you will be lots closer to the answer, once you determine the happenings, as detailed above. good luck on the search!

Just the way that I view things…

JT-IN

Re: Owner Pasted Away 9 yrs ago - Posted by Nate(DC)

Posted by Nate(DC) on December 26, 2001 at 22:06:25:

If the owner has been dead for 9 years and the property has only been vacant for 1 year, who was living there the rest of the time? There may be other relatives or friends using the property who may be paying the property taxes - perhaps planning to file an adverse possession claim eventually. Perhaps the owner died without a will and the property has never gone through probate, or the CA probate was not aware the owner owned this property since it’s located in another state.

I think you’re on the right track. If you know this person died in CA and when, you should be able to figure out if it went through probate and who the administrator was, and from there you should find your answer…

Happy hunting,
NT

Re: Owner Pasted Away 9 yrs ago - Posted by DaytonaNative

Posted by DaytonaNative on December 27, 2001 at 21:02:32:

The address for the taxes is the property address…AND according to them this woman came in and paid them in the office last year!! Imagine that.

I have, though, written a “To Owner” letter to the property - no response yet.

Re: Owner Pasted Away 9 yrs ago - Posted by Nate(DC)

Posted by Nate(DC) on December 28, 2001 at 16:47:45:

Well, now you know there’s someone local who is interested enough in the property to be paying the taxes. That’s not much, but it’s a start.

Incidentally, how do you know this person died in California in 1992? Do you have a death certificate? People have been known to be wrong about whether or not certain people are dead or alive. In fact, some people have gone so far as to fake their own death. I’m not saying it’s likely that is what happened here…but something to consider.
NT