Opinions on this book? - Posted by Bob

Posted by Carlos on January 08, 2005 at 17:37:12:

Hi Bob,

I’ve got it, and like it. It’s the “Urban Land Institute’s Guide to the Business”, as they advertise it, and thus it has a lot of input from a lot of people, but it’s written by one (well, two) person(s), so it’s very consistent in style. It is a big book physically, with about 400 pages the size of an 8 1/2 by 11 sheet of paper. It has lots of pictures to break up the text, as well as a fair number of charts, and some spreadsheets. The layout is done in a manner that is pleasing to the eye, with good quality paper.

OK, so much for the appearance. What about the substance? I think it’s very comprehensive. It has a couple of introductory chapters on development, and then moves into the specific types, with individual chapters on land development, multifamily residential, office development, industrial, and retail. Even though there is not a specific chapter on SFH development, a lot of the material in here is applicable to that area also. I like it a lot, but I’ll warn you that it’s expensive. (which you probably already knew) But I think it’s worth it. You might also be able to find it used, I’ve seen copies for sale from time to time. Be sure to get the second edition, which is the latest, dating from 2003.

=Carlos=

Opinions on this book? - Posted by Bob

Posted by Bob on January 07, 2005 at 18:37:58:

Professional Real Estate Development, Richard B. Peiser