Okay, you win. The stock market is better. - Posted by Stacy (AZ)

Another opinion - Posted by RichardWA

Posted by RichardWA on December 21, 1999 at 16:18:09:

I still think real estate is better–but really it depends on your own personality-your talents, interests, and tastes. Just because you do well in real estate doesn’t mean you’ll do well in stock investing–it requires a different set of talents.

I was reading just the other day–all this Day Trading stuff, all the big hullaballoo being made. I was reading that over 95 percent of the people who try it fail, losing tens of thousands of dollars–and these are mostly already well-to-do, moneyed peoplw who’ve got the $50,000-$100,000+ needed to succeed in day trading.

And like another gentleman said “a monkey could win in this market”. No one has ever seen a market like this in living memory. And no one really knows where the market will go from here. Will the boom continue? Will there be a crash? Who knows? The very reason many invest in stocks is that very unpredictability–people hoping to “beat the market”.

Personally my opinion is, go with what gives you the most emotional rewards. You’re making money, he’s making money–who cares who’s making more? His profits could vanish tomorrow. If you’re happy with your performance, there’s nothing to complain about, is there? People can make themselves awfully miserable comparing themselves to other people.

And if you’re NOT happy with your performance, then learn more. Nothing beats education as a money-making venture. I’ve seen an awful lot of stories about folks on here making tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands of dollars on zero cash–and you can’t do THAT in the stock market.

It’s all in how you look at it. If you like real estate, it’s a happy lifestyle for you, stay with it. Get better at it. Get big enough that you can hire others to do the work you hate.

And if you don’t like real estate, then try something else. To me that’s the only reason to ever get out of real estate investing–cause there’s money to be made, and LOTS of it. :slight_smile:

Just my 2 cents. :slight_smile:
–RichardWA

Only My Opinion - Posted by PBoone

Posted by PBoone on December 21, 1999 at 15:51:39:

Stacy,
As one of my good friends has told me. “A monkey could win in today’s stock market” I have seen his success over the past few years and he is doing quite well. I have seen my success over the past few years and I have done quite well. Who wins? Who cares! We both enjoy the success we achieve daily and laugh all the way to the bank.
Pat

Re: Okay, you win. The stock market is better. - Posted by chris

Posted by chris on December 22, 1999 at 07:07:12:

I agree. J. Paul Getty in How To Be Rich said he knew it was time to get out of the market before the crash of 29 when his shoe shine man started giving him stock tips.

This was brought to my mind because of what I ran into the other day. A friend of mine who works at UPS used his overdraft checking to write himself a loan to buy Disney stock. When I asked him specifics as to his strategy his reply was that you can’t go wrong with Disney. No real game plan. Hopefully the stock will pay his loan instead of a $9 per hour salary.