Notesmith renewal question - Posted by Karl (Oh)

Posted by JPiper on July 12, 2001 at 24:01:15:

Sure beats having to send your disk in. Sounds like they made a needed improvement.

JPiper

Notesmith renewal question - Posted by Karl (Oh)

Posted by Karl (Oh) on July 10, 2001 at 23:52:58:

I have a Notesmith question. I purchased the Notesmith 2000 early last year. Since January, the program has reminded me every time I’ve opened it that my technical support has expired as of 12/31/00. I don’t care, I’ve never contacted them.

Now I have a “Final Expiration Warning”, and a message that my program file is out of date. Notesmith has a more current program file on their website that can be downloaded, but it didn’t solve my problem.

Do Notesmith users have to renew their “technical support” privileges each year for $159 in order to keep the program running?

I’ve sent Notesmith technical support this same question tonight, but wondered if anyone here knows the answer.

Karl Kleiner

Re: Notesmith renewal question - Posted by JasonWDTX

Posted by JasonWDTX on July 11, 2001 at 19:25:54:

One thing you can do until your “Freshened” disk arrives is change the date on your computer back to last year and continue to use notesmith normally. Notesmith uses your computers clock to know the date. This is kind of a hassle but it solves the problem until you have the “freshest” copy.

Jason

P.S. you can also freshen by downloading from their site notesmith.com That way you don’t have to wait on the disk.

Re: Notesmith renewal question - Posted by JPiper

Posted by JPiper on July 11, 2001 at 06:19:00:

Hi Karl:

The answer to your question is “no”, you don’t have to renew your support.

I recently had this same problem. I presume that at this time your software does not function.

NoteSmith claims that they have given you “numerous warnings” that your support is expiring (they did for me and it sounds like the did for you). They also claim that they have warned you to send your disk back for what they call “freshening”. I don’t recall any warning of this type…whether you do I can’t say. They claim they give numerous warnings of the need to send the disk back in the last 30 days prior to this “final warning”. Whether they do or not I couldn’t say because I generally only use the software once per month at the beginning of the month when my note payors pay.

The company says the purpose of this “freshening” is to make sure that when you withdraw from support that you are leaving with an up-to-date disk (as of the end of last year). This message seems to get lost in the midst of all the attempts to sell support, and then the shutting down of your software.

Regardless, the message you will receive is that if you will send your disk in, it will be freshened, sent back to you, and it will then be operational. All true. Again, you don’t need to renew support, although if you don’t the software will become out-of-date. They will send you a list of the new features you are missing as a result of not renewing the support.

Good software, but I personally didn’t care for how they ended support. That was a new one for me. And by the way Karl, congratulations on maintaining your equanimity. I was quite upset…and sent 3 emails. The company was responsive to those emails, and my software now works just fine.

JPiper

Re: Notesmith renewal question - Posted by Karl (Oh)

Posted by Karl (Oh) on July 11, 2001 at 22:43:12:

I sent Notesmith an email last night at midnite. As I was reading your post at 7:45am this morning, I received a reply from Notesmith Tech Support with the new file I needed (different than the download file on their website). Pretty good turn around time for any business!

Karl Kleiner