Notes +real estate +mortgage broker'g =? - Posted by Kareem

Posted by Jim IL on December 22, 2000 at 11:54:39:

Kareem,
It really depends on how comfortable you are in doing more than one thing at a time.
All of these do tie together rather well, and in fact, if you just become an investor, you will eventually be a note investor as well, by holding any paper you create with buyers.
When I started out, I was set on just buying homes, disposing of them FAST, and making CASH.
But, as I got going, I learned to sell some of these homes and keep cash flow buy carrying paper or doing L/O’s.
Therefore, I do now have paper in my portfolio, but not because I went out and bought it.
I created it myself.

As far as being a mortgage broker, I’ve never done it, so I cannot comment on it.
I’m sure it would not hurt you, but again, you need to see where your time is better spent?
Are you going to make more money when you buy homes or when you broker a mortgage?
You will see many investors here who all have one thing in common, and that is the fact that we are creative.
But I’m sure no two investing strrategies are alike, so we are also a rather diverse group.
To each his own.
That is the beauty of this business.
You can be “in it” through many different activities.

To start, I’d personally find ONE of the above and get good at it before starting another, but that is just me.
I like to make CASH to insure that all my bills are paid, and then move forward to accumulate what I can, however I can.
It is good that you are starting out young. I only wish I had done this at 23, rather than in my thirties.

Take care, and good luck,
Jim IL

Notes +real estate +mortgage broker’g =? - Posted by Kareem

Posted by Kareem on December 22, 2000 at 08:15:55:

My experience is at raw beginning (23yrs of age) with each of these areas of investments. However, I am a human spounge for information (recent college graduate). Is it wise for me to attempt to combine these businesses from the start of my investing career?