No "AS IS" in Texas - Posted by Don Rodgers

Posted by M.Robert,Tx. on August 10, 2001 at 01:10:35:

Sorry this does not refer directly to topic at hand-new to MH business-have read Lonnie’s books-scheduled to attend license course in Austin on Aug. 13-Is this neceessary to do used MH Lonnie deals in Tx.-would appreciate a reply-excuse the long message-thanks

No “AS IS” in Texas - Posted by Don Rodgers

Posted by Don Rodgers on July 05, 2001 at 08:33:33:

Be careful what you buy in TX. The TDHCA has decided that the Retailer Licensee must issue a 60 day warranty on the livability of any used home he or she sells. This is structural , appliances, plumbing, heating, water heater, electrical, but does not include cosmetics. No more “AS IS” in Texas. DonR TX

Re: No “AS IS” in Texas - Posted by Chad TX

Posted by Chad TX on July 06, 2001 at 12:42:20:

Don,
When did this happen? I was told the same thing by someone when I called TDHCA about 6 months ago. I then turned around 5 minutes later, called back again, talked to someone different who told me that this applies only to dealers selling “new homes only”.

Re: No “AS IS” in Texas - Posted by DonR TX

Posted by DonR TX on July 06, 2001 at 15:56:57:

I received a packet of regulations from the TDHCA and an application to attend the classes in Aug. The regs said that if a licensed retailer sold a used Mobile Home, they had to give the buyer a 60 day warranty on the aforementioned objects in order to insure “liveability”. At least that’s the way is reads to me. I have called them several times and get different information every time. If you want me to Chad, I can scan the part in the regs about that and e-mail it to you. I didn’t like any better that you do, but I can see their point. There’s a long history of unscrupulous (hope I spelled that right) mobile home dealers in the State, and since the TDHCA was formed for consumer protection, I can understand it. I have a feeling it’s going to hurt us in the butt pocket tho. DonR TX

Re: No “AS IS” in Texas - Posted by Chad TX

Posted by Chad TX on July 06, 2001 at 19:29:49:

Don,
You and I must have done the same thing. I too received the packet in the mail, read the reg’s, panicked and called Austin. The first lady I spoke with said that we were required to do that but to me she didn’t seem to really know what she was talking about so I quized her on some other areas of the regs and realized she didn’t really know what she was doing. Then, I called back and talked to someone else who told me that she knew without a doubt that this only applied to the new sales dealers and not us. I explained to her very specifically what we were doing and she said it didn’t apply to us. She had no problem giving me her name and supervisor’s name as well so I could document that she said it. I know this is long, sorry about that but this is a great business to get into and it really gets me worked up when they are telling us different things. You sound like you’re making sure things are done legally just like I have been and it makes it difficult to do that when they aren’t consistent with what they are telling us. I hope you didn’t think I was being rude in my last message. There are good people like you and I who are trying to to things right and can’t even figure out what that is. Do me a favor. If you do contact Austin again will you please let me know who it was you talked to so that I can keep record of it. I live about 2 hours away but would be willing to drive up there and find out what we are really suppose to be doing so we can inform others from Texas who use creonline. I have to take the class to and have set it up with my boss to go in Aug. as well so hopefully I’ll see you there. I have done only one deal so far because that is what they said I could do until I got my license/bonding set up. Send me mail if and when you find out anything new. Thanks, Chad